Hip Roof Model 2 - are you ready?

An on-going study exploring traditional carpentry layout techniques.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Hip Roof Model 2 - are you ready?

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:27 pm

I wanted to offer study material for those members who cannot travel for the courses, or do not wish to wait until more advanced courses take place. Almost all the people interested in the workshops wish to tackle the first two courses, so it may be a while until we get moved along the series.

How will this study session work? I've decided I'm not going to require anyone to complete the material - if you simply want to collect info, study it academically, etc., then that is fine by me. If you wish to engage with the material and make the model (the best way to learn), I'll provide forum space where you can post pictures of your work, ask questions and discuss the project with other members. I'm hoping some of you choose to do that.

This second hip model, like the first, is regular plan, regular slope. There are many differences however. We'll be working with a steeper slope for one thing, and this will involve a layout offset in relation to the wall plates. The rafters will terminate in fascia on both ends and top, and the upper end of the hip will tenon into a post. The keta cross-over joint will be different, as will the rafter-to-hip connections. The hip rafter will feature some additional detailing as compared to the previous model. Also, we will be delving deeper into hiyodori, with a look at a couple of variants of hiyodori sen. Many of the involved timber sections are a bit larger than the previous model, however this is still considered a half-scale exercise.

Again, how will this work? Well, as before I'll produce mailings, detailing the construction and layout of the project. Not sure how many mailings will be involved, but you can expect a minimum of 10 pages per mailing, often they will be 20 pages or more however. Mailings will cost $10/ea. No need to sign up or subscribe, as I'll post up when a new mailing is ready. I will aim to produce an new mailing about every 2~3 weeks, hopefully at least 1 per month. If I see someone tackling the project and getting stuff done at a faster pace than I am making new mailings, then I will likely feel motivated to produce material at a faster pace.

If you haven't tackled any of the previous projects in the carpentry drawing series, then you are still welcome to jump in, however be forewarned that I will not be going over previous study material to catch you up. If you ask me a question which has been covered previously, then I'll refer you to the pertinent TAJCD essay or study group mailing.

All previous mailings are $5.00 each, by the way. If you've purchased TAJCD essays from me in the past, you'll know that I accept paypal to my email address.

Here's an overview of the new model - if you want to engage with this project, contact me for a material list. The first mailing should be out by the end of the month. Hope to see you there!
Steeply Pitched Hip perspective-small.jpg
Steeply Pitched Hip perspective-small.jpg (95.84 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
Steeply Pitched Hip Plan.jpg
Steeply Pitched Hip Plan.jpg (155.48 KiB) Viewed 6671 times
Steeply Pitched Hip elevation.jpg
Steeply Pitched Hip elevation.jpg (109.65 KiB) Viewed 6670 times
Yxoc

Re: Hip Roof Model 2 - are you ready?

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:08 pm

Yeah baby!!!

Tell me, has the dimensions of the Keta changed since last time? 120mm x 90mm (and my pieces are just over a metre)
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:41 pm

Keta are now 90x180mm, and 1000mm would be long enough. There are three pieces required for the keta, not two. Required: 1 at 1000mm. long, 1 at 800mm, and 1 at 400mm.

Looks like you have to add a lamination and an extra stick....
Yxoc

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:42 am

Ok, New Keta pieces are laminated, cut, dimensioned and ready to go!!!
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:30 pm

Derek,

thanks- appreciate your enthusiasm greatly.

Was away for a few days and just got back, so i'll get some more info to you shortly in regards to parts sizes.
Yxoc

Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:19 am

No problems.

Hope the break was refreshing.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 pm

Stub posts: 80x80x200, 3 req.

Main post: 100x100x1000, 1 required

Common rafters: 30x60; 2@1400, 2@1200, 2@1000, 2@800, 2@600, 2@400

That should keep you busy for a while. I'm re-drawing the model in Rhino as a learning experience, so it's taking longer then normal to finalize details. I've taken up heavy drinking as well as this near-vertical learning curve is driving me nuts!

When you're done milling the above parts, let me know and I'll come back with the dimensions for the remaining scantlings.
Yxoc

Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:15 am

Ok great, that will keep me off the streets for a while.

Good luck at the computer.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:12 pm

I've managed to draw 95% of it in Rhino now:
hip model in rhino.jpg
hip model in rhino.jpg (187.27 KiB) Viewed 6523 times
There are some powerful tools there, but it takes a good while to get the hang of things. I have tried at times to approach it like sketchup, and found that doesn't work so well at all. :oops:

Won't take too long though to get the rest of the parts on there. The next mailing will probably have a mix of pictures from both softwares.
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:09 pm

If you're still drawing with surface meshes (like SU) I think that's a mistake. I think Rhino will really be great should you decide to use it for your metalwork, with all of its organic surfaces. It should also work well with curved members/logs. However for rectilinear objects like TAJCD projects I think a solid modeler like SolidWorks or Inventor might've been easier to learn - albeit at a hefty price.

Return to “Carpentry Drawing”