Kanna Suggestions

Chris Pyle
Deshi

Kanna Suggestions

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:27 pm

This is a repost because it's probably more suitable here. What suggestions does everyone have for a good first finishing kanna? And jointer kanna for a shooting board?

I have a couple beater kanna I bought off ebay but I'd really like to buy one good finishing kanna and jointer kanna. I've seen Stu's Tsunesuaboro planes, Hida's planes and some of the planes So Yamashita offers but I don't know enough to choose. I really like our hardwood domestics (may add an exotic or two) but mostly cherry, walnut, maple, ash, etc.

From what I've read, the finishing kanna for hardwoods like that should be at 43-45 degrees and the shooting board kanna should be lower, but how much lower would you suggest?

I have smaller hands so I wouldn't want to purchase anything above a 65mm and maybe stay closer to the 60mm to start off. I guess the dai for the shooting board could always be adjusted with a handle if needed but I might feel a bit...silly.

I'm sure price will be the determining factor in suggestions. I'm open but I ask that you keep in mind I'm a beginner and would hate to mess-up a high-quality blade.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Re: Kanna Suggestions

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:13 pm

I would suggest (if you think you already have a good blade)that you make your own plane body. Not only is it not that difficult, you will have intimate knowledge of your plane when finished.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Don't spend too much on the first plane. If you can find a decent NOS plane, under $350, then that's a good place to start. Paul's advice is also excellent. If you make mistakes in setting up the plane, there is little that can't be fixed. It's all good learning.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:57 pm

When it comes to Japanese plane blades I am at the mercy of the anonymous blade smiths as I don't read kanji. Therefore I can't say "oh this plane is from a good smith it will be good". I have to assume all the blades from Japan are made well and hope for the best. I like to look for a chiseled signatures, hammer marks, or just something unique that a "catalogue" plane doesn't have. I am sure my collection of chisels, planes, and saws (that I love) contains some that would be considered "good" and "not so good" and "just sad". When I have bought tools off of ebay I like a blade that is half used up. It will still take me many years to use it the rest of the way up and it shows to me it was a good enough tool for some craftsman to use and sharpen again and again to have used it that far(it would have taken years). If the blade is half used and the ura is in good condition (to my caveman way of thinking) the carpenter felt that blade was good enough to spend the time to care for it and nurture it to its current state. I think in the aftermath of the tsunami there will be more blades on ebay as the plane bodies would have sustained heavy water damage leaving a somewhat rusty blade. I may be wrong about this but it is an assumption I will have in my head while perusing the listings.
Also when it comes to knowing others who enjoy Japanese tools - until the internet came along I knew no one to ask questions to. I still don't know anyone in person who uses them - let alone on the job on a daily basis as I do. I have had to make zillions (yes-ZILLIONS) mistakes to have the limited knowledge I do have. That is why this forum is so interesting to me. In the 80s all I had was Toshio Odate's book. I still love the book, but it was simply a good starting point. That's not a criticism, I think he would say the same thing. No book will make you proficient at anything without endless practice practice practice (oh crap mistake mistake start over).
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:41 pm

Chris,

have you checked out Suzuki tool? They have a good range of low~medium priced planes and Ms. Suzuki is excellent to deal with and can communicate well in English:

http://suzukitool.com/tools/japanese-wo ... and-planes
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:31 pm

Thanks Chris, I plan on buying a couple Yamamoto planes and letting them sit in my shop. Has anyone purchased a plane from Suzuki? Have you purchased any items from Suzuki? It's so hard to find reviews on Japanese tools, I'm often left with a guessing game.

I also purchased a Tsune plane from Stu, once it gets here I'll be allowing it to sit and acclimate before getting it set up for use.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:57 pm

She used to work at Hida Tools in San Francisco before it was sold. She's good to deal with, at least that was my experience when she was at Hida, so I would have no hesitation in that regard.

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”