Sorii situation

john verge

Sorii situation

Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:44 pm

So, i have determined that there is no twist in the blade judging by the absence of any gata gata. So i proceeded to remove the sorii which is minimal. However after taping the blade and beginning to flatten the back i'm getting this wear immediately at the location in the photo. It appears to be a bit uneven there where the two metals meet. I wonder if i should file it flat?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (97.07 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (77.5 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Sorii situation

Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:21 pm

It may be the case that the blade has no clickety-clack going on and still be malformed. The ura side could be a bit cupped so that when you place the back down on the reference surface, the corners touch but the middle of the blade is sitting a little high. You could confirm that by checking with a feeler gauge in the middle of the endge. I suspect you will need to tap out the middle of the bevel to bring it down before proceeding much further.

You've placed the tape too high as well. The portion which you have taped should never encounter the sharpening stone in the first place, so it is serving no function. You want the tape placed lower down, on the upper half of the ura-suki legs.

also, on the ura side, there is no place down low where 'two metals meet'. On the bevel side, yes, but on the ura side you are only working hagane.
john verge

Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:47 pm

Okay then, i see it gets deeper. Will start to chase those parts down, thanks.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:12 pm

Look carefully at the side of the blade and notice the forge weld line - you will see that the hagane portion only extends up as far as the ura, more or less. I'm saying that in an attempt to clarify the reason for the location of the tape.
john verge

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:35 pm

So for the last week i've been pounding away on the blade and i think that i finally got some results. I decided that a twist is what i had. In the picture the two ura legs are touching the stone. Prior to this only the left leg was touching. I warmed the blade and proceded with the drifting process. Afterward the right leg came into play and the sorii seems to be quite minimal. I have managed to begin to take some fairly consistent shavings.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (94.08 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (95.19 KiB) Viewed 2443 times

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”