Re: Chiyozuru on interweb

Tue May 26, 2015 7:24 am

Do you like Chiyozuru planes Mathieu?
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Tue May 26, 2015 7:37 am

I don't know. At least I don't know yet.
I have an old Chioyozuru plane which should supposedly be a really nice blade. I got it second hand barely used, unfortunately the ura wasn't prepared that well.
It was kept in the closet until the time was right to set it up and start using it. It could use a new dai too and is still just sitting there.

At the moment I have a few planes set up which I use and work really well. I don't have a need for this plane so to speak.

I am not sure wether these planes are really that much better?.... You know hypes, fashions and all that sort of things. They are obviously well made and finely finished.
I must admit that I get more excited about a new Keisaburo (Uchihashi) blade I have which is much cheaper but also very well made.
It is only since a short time that I really get an idea about subtle differences between kanna performance, steel or edge retention. And still I wonder to what extend it is my colored imagination or a measurable fact?

I am not even sure wether I will keep the Chiyozuru plane I better find some use for it or pass it on to someone who will.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue May 26, 2015 7:50 am

They certainly have one of the fanciest sites of any Japanese plane blade maker. I like that they shape the ura with a sen.

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”