Soko shakuri kanna blade

dmccurtis
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Soko shakuri kanna blade

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:18 am

I have a soko shakuri kanna in need of some adjustment. The blade is proud of the right side of the dai (as seen in use) by ~1-2mm. Any thoughts on how to rectify that? I can't grind down the side of the blade without grinding into the hollow. I suppose I could laminate a piece to the side of the dai, but it's a rather nice dai with an inlaid ebony sole, so I'd like to leave it alone as much as possible. Besides cutting a whole new dai, those are all the ideas I could come up with. Is there anything I haven't thought of?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Soko shakuri kanna blade

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:48 am

Post a picture of the tool please. How did the blade end up to far out of alignment? Is this a new tool, or a used purchase or what?
dmccurtis

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:02 pm

I'll get a photo up in a bit, as soon as I get my camera out of its box (I just moved). The kanna was a used purchase, so I can't say if it ever fit perfectly, but I don't recall it being so far out when I received it. It's been acclimatizing for a few months, so it's likely that the dai shrank. Right now, it is as humid here as it ever gets, so I don't think I can count on the dai expanding any further to take up the space.
dmccurtis

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:03 pm

Oh, and thanks for responding!
dmccurtis

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Alright, here are the photos. The amount of protrusion is exaggerated somewhat by the camera, the blade actually sits 1.9mm proud of the dai. And yes, it clearly needs to be sharpened.

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:29 pm

Re-deck the side surface and glue on another cheek to bring the dai to the width of the blade. You can see that the two ebony cheeks are not equal in thickness at this stage.
dmccurtis

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks Chris. As much as I'd like to leave the dai alone, that was pretty much the answer I was expecting.
dmccurtis

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:50 pm

A related question: just how much blade protrusion should such a plane feature? I've seen examples, both Japanese and western, with blades both flush and slightly proud. I would think that, like a saw's set, a slight protrusion would help prevent binding. If so, are there any thoughts on how much is appropriate? My guess would be, 'as little as is necessary.'
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:35 am

I like the blade to be a tiny, tiny bit proud. With a tiny bit I mean maximum 1/10mm, less is better. Just enough to make sure you can plane the bottom of the groove without the dai binding.
dmccurtis

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks Mathieu, that confirms my thoughts.

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”