Dai making and setting up for competition level shavings

shawn M
Lurker

Re: Dai making and setting up for competition level shavings

Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:37 pm

durbien wrote:Is this like epoxy for bedding rifle barrels? I seem to remember someone else (Krenov?) recommending using bedding compounds to ensure 100% contact, but somehow didn't make the leap to Japanese kanna setup. Come to think of it, the traditional ink/graphite transfer fitting is very similar to the luthier's method of "chalk" fitting braces and cauls to the interior of violin plates and such..

Its konishi brand two part epoxy from Japan. But the stuff you mentioned sounds great
shawn M
Lurker

Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:38 pm

John Whitley wrote:Interesting re: the epoxy bedding. The bedding benefit seems obvious: a moldable material can create a close fit to the blade. I wonder how that interacts with dai movement.

I'm also curious about the rationale and details around #3, which seems vaguely similar to dai with ebony/etc. inserts at the mouth wear-zone. Questions in my mind: Is this treatment intended solely to create an accurate front-edge of the mouth, or are there wear and/or other longevity benefits? How easy is it to tune up? E.g. is this a short-term thing appropriate only for competition or occasional extra-extra fine planing work, or are there benefits to "normal" planing workflows?

So #3 I was wrong on that. I am going to change that right now. A layer of epoxy is used under an insert in front of the mouth for a stabilizing effect.
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:49 am

Don't hold me to that "Krenov?" statement either - I might've just read it in FWW or something.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:27 pm

shawn M wrote:Hey Brian,
I have read Chris Halls post on setting up the Kanna. Very well put together!

That Nakayama Asagi sounds very nice. It would actually do well for my needs.

"My goals, for my new plane, are to get full width thin shavings (70mm)" great goal! with proper setup and doing your best at each step you will get it!

I am curious what kanna did you buy recently?
Yokoyama Tougou-Kou, still working out some minor details on the dai.
shawn M
Lurker

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Brian wrote:
shawn M wrote:Hey Brian,
I have read Chris Halls post on setting up the Kanna. Very well put together!

That Nakayama Asagi sounds very nice. It would actually do well for my needs.

"My goals, for my new plane, are to get full width thin shavings (70mm)" great goal! with proper setup and doing your best at each step you will get it!

I am curious what kanna did you buy recently?
Yokoyama Tougou-Kou, still working out some minor details on the dai.

Hey Brian,
That is a very nice kanna! I have one myself. I can highly recommend Yokoyama's VAR.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:43 pm

Awesome, I'm very much looking forward to it. The VAR sounds pretty interesting to me as well, though I believe their is a wait for them currently.

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”