Kanna Helped Me

Brian
Deshi

Kanna Helped Me

Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:20 pm

Thanks Chris! Kanna help you, perhaps? And smile and wave are truly awesome.

I haven't tuned the sole yet, even still pulling some good shavings and leaving a nice finish, can't wait to see what can be done with a tuned sole but I plan to let it hang out for a time.

The blade was pretty easy, had to tap out one corner, the chipper was a pita requiring some serious work.

Got a nice quick way to make shims from copper pipe:

djwong
Deshi

Re: Kanna Helped Me

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:18 pm

Impressive Brian, especially for your first kanna. Nice straight shaving.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:52 am

Nice anvil!! Did you deck that anvil yourself? I seem to recall someone having an anvil surface machined on here.

Clean shaving to boot.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:03 am

Seems that all my waffling on wasn't entirely in vain. Nice job!
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:07 am

I'm always amazed at how spotless your shop is (compared to mine, anyway). And carpeted, to boot.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Thanks Gents!

Chris, I really appreciate the nudge in this direction.

Chris P, indeed that was me. I'm working on putting together something for the hardy hole that will better suit ura-dashi. The side of my anvil is rounded over, so I flopped a piece of heavy leather over the edge and used that, it was successful but I think a large rounded surface will do better. This was perfect for adjusting twist and putting a belly in the chipper.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:36 pm

Tuning up the sole. I can get some seriously thin shavings from softwood, like....ridiculously thin. Walnut planes nicely, but rock maple is hell. If the blade is super sharp I get nice shavings, but soon as it looses even a hint of sharpness I get a choppy cut.

Is this my technique failing me, or is the 37 degree bed just not great for wood this hard?

I planed some doug fir from the HD (real garbage) and I can practically see my face in it at certain angles.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:35 am

Is this my technique failing me, or is the 37 degree bed just not great for wood this hard?
Assuming the blade is well seated, I would lean towards the above contention.

A 37˚ bedded plane, which would have something like a 25˚ bevel, will excel at softer woods but won't be the best choice for really hard material. A very thin bevel edge like that can be deflected down by the material in the cut and bounce back up out of the cut, giving you that chattering, uneven cutting.

A standard bevel plane at 38.66˚ would be marginally better - you'd get e few more passes out of it. Suggest something in the 45~50˚ zone likely to be more ideal. Also, for harder woods, it can be helpful to size down to a 60~65mm plane. Reduces the pulling effort slightly.
Brian
Deshi

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks Chris, I'm likely mistaken and this is actually 38.66 degrees, but all the same it seems I'll likely have to get a few of these and setup for different woods.

45 is likely right one for most of what I plane since all of my other planes are 45 degrees and I can cut all of the woods that I normally plane without issue.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:56 am

A standard 8-bu plane is 38.6598...˚

You might want to check your bevel angle as well. Sometimes planes come with the angle slightly acutely ground. If you aim for 12˚ on the underside of the bevel for clearance/spring back, then the bevel would be ideally around 26.66˚.

Perhaps you need a little curly VG bubinga in your life for added entertainment? Or, even better, lignum vitae, which I've found will still exhibit a slight amount of tear out with a 60˚ bedded plane :roll:

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”