Rounded over kanna blade

john verge

Rounded over kanna blade

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:39 am

Does anyone slightly round over their kanna blade when sharpening? Apparently, this removes lines in your work when planing as there would be a leading cutting edge and the corners follow behind yet are somewhat clipped so as not to cut. Thanks,John.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Rounded over kanna blade

Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:22 pm

I round the extremes of the corners and make sure that those areas are also sharp. Then camber the blade slightly so that the extreme ends are out of the cut at the depth I usually cut at (sub .001" so not much camber).

This is not just for Kanna, but I have been doing this for a few years on my other planes. Makes for a smooth surface without tracks.
john verge

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Okay, thanks for that. Seems to make sense. Caught the tip on a youtube vid, in japanese, so just wanted to cross reference with the forum. John.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:39 pm

john verge wrote:Okay, thanks for that. Seems to make sense. Caught the tip on a youtube vid, in japanese, so just wanted to cross reference with the forum. John.
Did you happen to see it on a video by the user named Tracestudy? He has a lot of interesting videos. It's also something we were doing at Chris' tool prep course.
john verge

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:48 pm

Chris, that was the one yes. He offered good visuals with his wood models etc. pretty informative.
dmccurtis
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:14 am

I would love if someone could translate those videos. I think I get the gist of what he's explaining, but I'm sure I'm missing many details.
john verge

Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Whoops, sorry, i should have placed this thread under "rocks" section just for archival and future research purposes in the event there is any good info that might come from the initial question. If that makes sense?
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:46 pm

john verge wrote:Whoops, sorry, i should have placed this thread under "rocks" section just for archival and future research purposes in the event there is any good info that might come from the initial question. If that makes sense?
Or better yet, under Kanna in the hand tools section. Maybe Chris can migrate the thread for us.

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”