Ari-jakuri-kanna setup

dmccurtis
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Ari-jakuri-kanna setup

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:18 pm

So I have an ari-jakuri-kanna (sliding dovetail plane) that needs some attention. When extended, the blade edge isn't parallel with the sole – the tip of the blade protrudes further than the heel. I'd appreciate some thoughts on how I should attack this. Should I work on the blade/mortise interface first, paring back the side rail to try to rotate the blade into alignment, but risk making the fit loose? Or, should I scribe the bed onto the blade and regrind it to shape? Any experience with this kind of adjustment would be very useful.
djwong
Deshi

Re: Ari-jakuri-kanna setup

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:30 am

I am not quite understanding the problem you are having. I have a dovetail plane that I use infrequently. My blade seems to be seated properly. I did have to grind the side of the blade a little to get it flush with the body. I have an unresolved issue of the nicker blade not being flush. My attempts to shim it into the correct position have been unsuccessful. Here are a few pictures of my plane...

Last edited by djwong on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:29 am

dmccurtis,

Is this a new plane, as in, the blade has never been fully fitted to the dai, and the blade is fresh from the smith? Or is it previously used and perhaps the blade crept out of alignment with the dai due to inattentive sharpening?

I have zero knowledge or experience with these planes, but I'm guessing one would want to ensure a a solid bedding of the iron in the dai, then adjust the bevel of the blade accordingly. Interested to hear from someone who knows better!
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:48 am

I'm not seeing any pictures in the posts above
djwong
Deshi

Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:34 pm

Photos hopefully fixed now.
dmccurtis

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:03 pm

I see the photos now, thanks for those. I'll post some photos of mine below for clarification.

The plane is used, but it seems barely. The blades show no sign of user sharpening, though of course it's possible. Considering the degree of misalignment though, I don't think it was sharpening error. I also have little experience with this plane, I've had it acclimatizing for a few months and this is my first shot at adjusting it. It was misaligned when it arrived, so I don't think it's the result of the dai warping.

Thanks again.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:34 pm

With the blade bevel sticking out like you show in the photo, what is the lateral position of the blade at the other end? Maybe another photo would be good. Is there much room to tap the upper end of the blade to one side or another?

Perhaps a combination of making room at the to of the blade notch to allow some lateral wiggle, plus some reshaping of the bevel can get you there. If the blade tightness in the dai is sufficient, you should be messing around with it any further. You can widen the blade slot however without affecting the fit of the blade otherwise.
djwong
Deshi

Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:52 pm

Based on your photo, I would regrind the skew on the blade. The other similar experience I have had is with a new kiwi-ganna (際鉋), that I had to correct the blade skew to get an even blade projection. On my dovetail plane, the blade is tapered in length and width, so I would not attempt any major modifications to the blade channel.

dmccurtis

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:12 pm

There's no room for lateral adjustment at the top of the dai slot, as the photos below hopefully show. I'm thinking a combination of dai and blade adjustment is my best option. Like djwong's, my blade is tapered in length and width, so I don't want to widen the blade slot too much, lest it get loose. I think I'll start by paring away a bit at the top of the slot, and see if I can tap the blade slightly into place. If not, I'll tackle the blade. I'll check back in with my findings. In the meantime, any other thoughts would definitely be appreciated.

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:15 pm

oh yeah, if a blade is tapered both sides like that you would not be advised to widen the channel, as it would make the fit loose. It helps to see that detail DJWong. If the blade is flat and not angled across its width, then one could widen the channel.

Ah- just saw the last post too. Yeah, re-work the blade bevel. It's the only avenue available.

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”