Hibukura kanna blade fitting

thefatbaron
Lurker

Hibukura kanna blade fitting

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:41 am

Some time ago, I purchased a used hibukura kanna (side groove plane? dovetail groove plane?) from eBay, and finally got around to attempting to set it up... and I'm stuck. Before I attempt any major surgery to the dai, I wondered if someone could point out something obvious I'm missing.

Here's the dai and blade, separate. So far, nothing special. I've flattened and squared the body, and done a quick sharpening on the blade, but that's it.
plane_1.jpg
plane_1.jpg (214.32 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
After inserting the blade, I run into a problem: the cutting edge doesn't actually protrude from the body. If I settle it into the 'natural' position, with the least resistance, I can get it to a reasonable position, vertically, with my fingers. A couple taps, and it's set. However, the cutting edge is still well back from the mouth.
plane_2.jpg
plane_2.jpg (148.48 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
Remove the blade, reset it with the edge protruding from the mouth, and I can get it about 2/3 of the way down, before I worry about cracking the dai.
plane_3.jpg
plane_3.jpg (148.75 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
plane_4.jpg
plane_4.jpg (127.45 KiB) Viewed 4467 times
The support surfaces for the blade are the front and back 'faces' of the mouth, so I'm hesitant to blindly remove wood from the dai there. I could shim that back edge (opposite the mouth) to try to force the blade forward, but I think that will just get it wedged, and end up damaging the body. Since the blade seats securely in the first photo (just too far back), I've entertained just removing more wood from the bed of the plane, but that seems drastic.

So. Thoughts? Suggestions? Statements of the obvious things I've missed?

Thanks.

- Dan

[edited to fix the pictures]
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Re: Hibukura kanna blade fitting

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:28 pm

I have one of those planes that I also purchased off ebay. It was used and came with a wooden shim/wedge. I fiddled with it an ended up just leaving the wedge. I will add a picture. Adjusting this plane was frustrating.

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”