preparatory kanna

crannygoat
Raw Log Import

preparatory kanna

Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:38 am

Folks, any leads or ideas on a scrub kanna, tool wise and linguistically?
djwong
Deshi

Re: preparatory kanna

Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:30 am

So Yamashita from Japan-Tools, showed a disposable blade kanna being used as a scrub plane. Japan woodworker sells a 55mm version. Here is a link to a 65mm version on Rakten. You can often find that same plane being sold on eBay by a seller in Japan. I've often thought that a Tsunesaburo high speed steel blade kanna may also be a good choice, but they can be a little pricey.

I use an old stanley jack plane with a highly cambered blade for rough scrubbing. Something I do very little of these days. I suppose a highly cambered 60mm kanna would be a good choice.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:55 am

Linguistically, a scrub plane would be called an ara-shiko-ganna 荒仕工鉋, ara-kanna/ara-ganna, 荒鉋, for short.
crannygoat
Raw Log Import

Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:49 pm

Thank you gentlemen. Looking into the HSS option first.
Evans
Raw Log Import

Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:37 am

Isn't surface preparation the kind of thing a yari-ganna "spear plane" would be used for?

Or am I underestimating the capabilities of a yari-ganna?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:31 am

Evans wrote:Isn't surface preparation the kind of thing a yari-ganna "spear plane" would be used for?

Or am I underestimating the capabilities of a yari-ganna?
The yari-ganna stems from an era before Chinese-style planes were introduced to Japan. At that time, an abundance of choice straight-grained timber allowed a fair amount of timber to be cleanly riven, which left a fairly flat and clean surface which could cleaned up afterward with the yari-ganna. A piece of timber with less cooperative grain would be hewn to shape with a chōna, and it can leave a pretty good surface if wielded with skill. Often a Chōna does/did leave the final surface.

Chōna can be used for roughing and finishing. Like the planes, a more curved blade can be used to hog off more material, and finish dressing the surface is effected with a nearly flat blade.

These days the chōna and yari-ganna are used mostly to leave a decorative tooled surface behind on the wood.

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”