Humidity changes

Vips
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Humidity changes

Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:24 am

It's been almost a full cycle with all my Kanna, and I've noticed them going through their movements. Most of the time, this hasn't been problematic, but over the past few weeks, we've had some more exaggerated swings in humidity. The result is a few of my kanna are more prone to chatter on hardwoods more than they usually would. I've countered this with a thin weight slice of paper on the bed with no adhesive for now.

I wanted to ask, is this a good enough solution, or are there better solutions? Would the paper shim be loosening the kanna over time to the point where they'll need the bed fixing again?
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Re: Humidity changes

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:52 am

I think that sounds like a good plan. I do pretty much the same thing with one I have- the blade fits well most of the year, but sometimes is just a little too loose. I use a thin shaving as a shim. The blade should only be fully seated while the kanna is in use. Back it out for storage to avoid problems with the dai shrinking onto the blade and spoiling fit.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:46 am

I have a couple of them that I use all the time and they have paper inserts, no harm done as far as I can tell.
djwong
Deshi

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:59 pm

I use a small 42mm kanna with a paper insert that is not glued in place. Works fine. For a more permanent solution, I attach wood veeneer to the bed with liquid hide glue or rice glue, then re-fit the blade to the bed.
Vips
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm happy that I'm probably causing no harm. I'll remember to loosen the blade when storing. It is quite impressive how much of a difference a well fitted bed makes.

I have repaired two kanna with thick shavings to date, but the humidity changes seem to need a more temporary solution.

Thanks for the sanity check guys.

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”