Purchasing a Japanese plane

john verge

Purchasing a Japanese plane

Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Considering purchasing a Japanese plane or two. I attended 2 japanese plane care and use seminars down in Port Townsend Washington several weeks ago. The event was put on by the timber framers guild. The instructor , who's name escapes me, showed us how to sharpen then set up a variety of planes. A participant brought in his poor old and forgotten plane and to our amazement the instructor brought it back to life and in no time was milling micro thin shavings 3 and 4 feet long . Any how, what might folks recommend. Thanks.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Purchasing a Japanese plane

Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:42 am

Would that have been Mike Laine?
john verge

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 am

I think it was dale brotherton and his co. name was Takumi.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:56 am

Okay, yes, know him as well.

~C
Jack_Ervin.

Sat May 05, 2012 2:34 pm

Chris,

Some of what I've been working on. A 48mm and a 6mm Kanna. The 48mm I won on ebay and the 60mm I purchased at the Dallas Lie-Nielsen tool show from Lynn Dowd. These have proven to be good entry level planes for me as there are learning curves that I am getting on top of thanks to your blog posts and Jay van Arsdale DVD. I have them working and look forward to further tuning them to work at a level I now understand that they will. The 48mm is the most progressed as the sides are square and the sole is started conditioned. I am showing them with some European Beech dai blanks (stock that I had) that I will take advantage to make a jointer and more refined mouth openings/ bed angles using these blades. I'll see how that develops.

Now I have two more tools to go into the toolbox.

Additional feedback will be appreciated.

Regards,

Jack
DSC02349.JPG
DSC02349.JPG (310.26 KiB) Viewed 4207 times
DSC02350.JPG
DSC02350.JPG (292.64 KiB) Viewed 4207 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat May 05, 2012 3:12 pm

What's the bedding angle on those two planes?
Jack_Ervin.

Mon May 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Chris Hall wrote:What's the bedding angle on those two planes?
The 48mm is 39 1/2degrees and the 60mm is 39degrees. That's what I plan for the jointer but I plan on 47 1/2 degrees for one. Any suggestions?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon May 07, 2012 6:26 pm

39-ish is fairly standard for working cooperative easy-cutting softwoods, and 47.5 is on the steeper side. Depends what sort of woods you plan to work. If a variety of different woods are envisioned, then you would want a variety of bevel angles. That's why a lot of Japanese craftsmen will have what seem like a dozen or more planes which might look quite similar - bedding angles vary and so types of steel, mouth openings etc. If you are planning to use the jointer plane on a shooting board, which entails a lot of end grain trimming, then a lower bedding angle would make sense. What sort of woods and what sort of uses are you thinking Jack?
Jack_Ervin.

Mon May 07, 2012 8:20 pm

Chris Hall wrote:39-ish is fairly standard for working cooperative easy-cutting softwoods, and 47.5 is on the steeper side. Depends what sort of woods you plan to work. If a variety of different woods are envisioned, then you would want a variety of bevel angles. That's why a lot of Japanese craftsmen will have what seem like a dozen or more planes which might look quite similar - bedding angles vary and so types of steel, mouth openings etc. If you are planning to use the jointer plane on a shooting board, which entails a lot of end grain trimming, then a lower bedding angle would make sense. What sort of woods and what sort of uses are you thinking Jack?
Some soft hard woods but mostly domestic hardwoods. I have some curly Cherry for a table project that is in process. Depending on how the Cherry turns out I may revisit that wood. The jointer I plan on bedding at 39-ish.

As can be seen in the photos above I have removed the pin holding the cap iron and currently conditioning with a single blade. I will delve into fitting the cap iron when I get the single blade setup working. Then I'll determine if I want/ need to setup a higher bed angle.

They are working out well so far. This is quiet a journey.

Jack
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:23 am

Chris Hall wrote:39-ish is fairly standard for working cooperative easy-cutting softwoods, and 47.5 is on the steeper side. Depends what sort of woods you plan to work. If a variety of different woods are envisioned, then you would want a variety of bevel angles. That's why a lot of Japanese craftsmen will have what seem like a dozen or more planes which might look quite similar - bedding angles vary and so types of steel, mouth openings etc. If you are planning to use the jointer plane on a shooting board, which entails a lot of end grain trimming, then a lower bedding angle would make sense. What sort of woods and what sort of uses are you thinking Jack?
Hey Chris et al,

What angle would you suggest for a jointer plane that will be strictly used with a shooting board? I reached out to Suzuki and she said she could have a dai made up with any angle requested. I'm going to get a couple extra dai for smoothing planes at various higher angles but I don't know what jointer angle would be considered ideal. I don't think it's fair to say all end grain is alike but if one were working with mostly domestics: cherry, walnut, oak, black locust, maple, other fruit woods, etc, what would be the sweet spot?

I've seen some people suggest a bedding angle of 27 degrees?

Return to “鉋 Kanna: The Japanese Plane”