preparing nomi

ka
kakashi

preparing nomi

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 pm

I finally got myself a set of nomi and I need to go about getting them set up to go.

Is it necessary to use a kanaban to flatten the back or can I use a water stone? I don't have a kanaban so I'll have to buy one if needed.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: preparing nomi

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Thanks for initiating a topic of discussion!

You can use a variety of media to flatten the back of a chisel. A kanaban works fine, but I find the grinding powders are kinda messy. I used to have one but I got rid of it.

A diamond plate works, but you don't want something too coarse. Sandpaper on granite or glass plate works, and waterstones work. The key point in preparing the back of a chisel is that whatever you use to do the flattening should be dead flat. So, if using waterstones, especially the coarser ones, re-flatten the stones FREQUENTLY and don't use much pressure when stroking the chisel on the stone. It's okay to work the full surface of the ura, but concentrate most of your strokes over the last 1/4 of the blade. Try to keep the 'legs' on the side of the ura fairly thin, maxing out the life of the hagane.
ka
kakashi

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:25 pm

Just trying to generate some movement here mate.

I'll skip the kanaban and try either water stones or sandpaper. I have some of the 3m diamond film from LV, do you think that would work?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:03 pm

I have some of that microfinishing paper, but haven't actually tried it yet, so i can't say. The sheets are a bit on the small side tho...
ka
kakashi

Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:07 pm

I decided that I wasn't happy with the set of nomi I had so I sold them on ebay at a slight loss and got a set by Kunitoshi. I was reading your blog posts about the Yamahiro and Kunitoshi but it appears that the tests weren't finished? What are your thoughts on the Kunitoshi?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Still assessing...
ka
kakashi

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:19 pm

I'm happy with them so far but the proof will be once they're set up and hit with a genno :D
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:19 am

They're certainly reasonably priced, and are available without much of a wait. If you don't have one, those hoop setting tools are very much worth getting.
ka
kakashi

Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:18 pm

I'm going to get one of those as part of a few tools I'm ordering :)

Return to “鑿 Nomi (Chisels)”