Single vs. multiple hollows

John Whitley
Deshi

Single vs. multiple hollows

Mon May 26, 2014 7:39 pm

I'm having trouble tracking down any experience-based commentary on single- vs. multiple- hollow Japanese chisel backs. The only point of interest I've run across periodically is the echoed comment that paring using a single-hollow chisel wider than the support base can be problematic due to the big hollow.

I'm planning towards eventually picking up a set of good "user" bench chisels and possibly a paring chisel or two. How much is the above concern about paring legitimate? Are there other practical considerations between single- vs multiple- hollow chisels?

Put another way, I'm trying to dial in the set of characteristics that define a solid set of user chisels vs. the higher-end "bench jewelry" type stuff.
Yxoc

Re: Single vs. multiple hollows

Tue May 27, 2014 5:14 am

Hi John,
I don't have any experience with multiple hollow backed chisels but I find that I choose a chisel size according to the dimensions of the task at hand, so the chisel back is an appropriate scale to the work. For critical paring I mostly use a paring block to guide the chisel. The guide block is always significantly larger than the pared surface so the back of the chisel always has a large enough area against which to register. Most of the chisels I see for sale are the single hollow variety (subjectively) so it's a set up that seems to work.

Regards

Derek
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Single vs. multiple hollows

Tue May 27, 2014 1:12 pm

I don't think the extra money for the multiple hollows is worth it. It's better to have a wide range of sizes in the regular chisels, which makes the ura registration issue largely moot.

The multiple hollows increase the portion of cutting steel on the bottom of the tool, and that can only mean more work keeping the back flat as compared to the single hollow versions.

A solid set of 'user' chisels? Think Yamahiro, Kunikei, O-uchi....

I don't recommend Tasai, pretty as they are.

Return to “鑿 Nomi (Chisels)”