Debating chisels...

Steve
Raw Log Import

Re: Debating chisels...

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Has anyone here purchased from The Japanese Tool Store Online ? http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/

This source was recommended. I was thinking of trying them out - the price of used Japanese chisels on Ebay seems a little high. Very high. It seems you can get a brand new tool for less money.

Hell, for the price of a good set of chisels one could just fly to Japan and shop a flea market or hardware store - is that an option?

My one only Japanese chisel was purchased new at a little tool store in Seattle... around 1982 I think. Yashiros Tools on South Jackson. I was a construction laborer at the time and $28.95 seemed like a fortune.
Attachments
chisel.jpg
chisel.jpg (72.8 KiB) Viewed 5348 times
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:48 pm

Wow, what a deal! You won't find that chisel for that price anywhere. The new chisels I have been looking at are anywhere from $60 - 150 each. It is easy to find them more expensive, but for me it is hard to justify. I have gotten many off of ebay because I just don't know enough to be able to deal with the vendors.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Hah, I'm glad that my dry humor come across well over the net.

Nice, interested to see the chisels reground as dovetail chisels.

I picked up a few others, a Koyamaichi fishtail chisel, and Ouchi gouges....all with ebony handles, I expect about 3 month lead times on these and 4 months of the Tasai.

I like the hammered finish too, but fear it may be uncomfortable in use since often I will hold a chisel against a guide with my thumb, could result in bleeding beyond the usual amount.
Gadge
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi Steve,

I can recommend Tools From Japan store. Good selection of tools and very helpful if you want to ask any questions. Run by an expat. so no language problems.

Gadge
Steve
Raw Log Import

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:47 pm

Gadge -

Thanks, I am going to put in an order - the English descriptions did seem very accurate.

Steve
Brian
Deshi

Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:19 pm

I'll mirror Gadge's sentiment, Stu of Tools From Japan is really fantastic. He is always honest and straightforward, not shy on advice if you request it.

I've ordered with him a few times and have had great experiences every time.

I have also ordered from Japan Tool Iida, and enjoy working with Tomohito Iida as he has provided outstanding customer service.

Also I have ordered from Japan Tool and have had a good experience from So Yamashita, he's had some scheduling issues but has been very clear with expectations and I appreciate that.

It's important to understand that these are small companies run by single proprietors or a small (family) staff, and they work in that fashion and do quite a fantastic job of answering questions about their merch.
Steve
Raw Log Import

Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Someday maybe will get to Japan...
Attachments
tool shop_2.jpg
tool shop_2.jpg (105.03 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
tool shop.jpg
tool shop.jpg (106.94 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
Brian
Deshi

Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:12 pm

I'm glad I cant get to Japan.....that sight would cost me a small fortune. Whose store?
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:57 am

You need to warn before posting a picture like that! It sent a shiver of "tool lust" up my spine!
Steve
Raw Log Import

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:10 pm

The image of the store came from a post on Facebook, "near Koto-Ku" was the only info on the location..

Return to “鑿 Nomi (Chisels)”