Iyoroi Oire Nomi Bench Chisels

J.T.
Raw Log Import

Iyoroi Oire Nomi Bench Chisels

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi all;
First post for me. Does anyone know if Ioroi chisels from Tools For Working Wood are a good quality chisel company? This will be my first set of chisels ever! I don't want to go cheap yet don't want to break the bank yet. They seem to be of good quality? Any info would be greatly apriciated. I want to start the joinery study group soon and need some things! Well more than some!! Chisels would be a good start. Typing or spelling is not my strong suits. Thanx for any help!
J.T.
john verge

Re: Iyoroi Oire Nomi Bench Chisels

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:33 pm

Hey welcome to the forum JT hope that you find it as inspiring as i have over the past few years. I really don't know anything about these chisels , however i'm sure valueable info will come your way soon enough due to the large amount of talent present on this site. For now goodluck, John.
RLSIII
Raw Log Import

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:52 pm

Welcome, I cannot attest to the quality of that particular manufacture however I can say that if you like working solid wood this is the place to be. The study group is excellent well worth the subscription. I have seen a measured advancement in my own skill set since joining I'm sure you will find the same good luck with the chisel purchase and don't forget to consider stu from tools from Japan he has some excellent product available.

Rob S
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:42 pm

What's your budget?

$389 for a 12-set is very inexpensive. Maybe too cheap, if you know what I mean. Iyoroi has a reputation as a maker of average tools, some lines better than others. Red oak striking chisel handles are not the best in my experience.

I would caution against buying a set from a maker when you have no experience with his tools. Better to buy one from one maker, one from another - comparable sort of products - and see if you prefer one to another. When you feel you've found chisels that sharpen well on your stones and keep a good edge, then you might consider getting a set. By that time as well you may have developed a preference for one of the chisel forms than another, o-ire, shinogi, hiramachi, chū-tataki, etc., and can then obtain something which will suit your needs more. Depends which direction your craft takes you after all.
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi John and Rob thanks for info and vote of confidence. Looking forward to studying in the group!
J.T.
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi Chris, about $400 for now.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:50 pm

I think better to take that $400 and buy yourself 3~4 chisels.

What is your budget for sharpening gear?
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:29 pm

Chris;
I have Norton 1ooo,4000 and 8000 with DOU Sharp DMT diamond two sided plate,325 and 220.

J.T.
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 pm

HELLO again;
I did buy some chisels on ebay a while back. Some have a curve to the metal others bad lamination between the higane.I have used them and the seem to hold an edge pretty well as I can tell. I am not to familier to judge for now. They seem ok. :lol: I have little as woodworking tools go and figured buy a semi cheap set for now then practice my skills. This set has 1,5 mm so I thought it would be a good start? I want hand hammered by Kunikei myself. the look awesome and are said to be of high quality. Also ordered Kiyohisa dovetail chisels about 2.5 years ago. Still waiting knowing it will be a while :roll: . Working my way into wood working if you know what I mean. I have always liked the look the smell and the nature of wood. Hope to state studying soon.
J.T.
Jon B
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi J.T.
I have an Ioroyi set from Tools for Working Wood that I've been using for several years now. As a basic started set of chisels they have served me really well, and even though they may be inexpensive they hold an edge much better than my western chisels.

-Jon

Return to “鑿 Nomi (Chisels)”