Jumping the line

John Whitley
Deshi

Re: Jumping the line

Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:42 pm

shawn M wrote:I will be interested in your review of the kamon Kiyohisa.
Likewise. I ultimately went with the Ouchi Hira-maru chisels in gearing up for the course, whereas Chris' Kiyohisa set appears to have a profile similar to the Ouchi Hira-machi. I suppose I'll see how I feel about that tradeoff in a few years, but for now I expect the new chisels to be a major step up from my current "starter" set.
shawn M
Lurker

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Hey John,
I see you are in Seattle. I am as well. I work with Takumi company in N. Seattle.
I was a little worried after reading that you bought Hira-maru type chisels. Maru means round so I thought they would be some type of gouge type chisel. I looked it up and found stu's site and now I understand what they are. I have never seen that type before but it seems pretty cool. I like the feel of Hira-machi but it can be tricky if you plan on going deeper into mortices. Not a problem for furniture or cabinetry type work.

John Whitley wrote:
shawn M wrote:I will be interested in your review of the kamon Kiyohisa.
Likewise. I ultimately went with the Ouchi Hira-maru chisels in gearing up for the course, whereas Chris' Kiyohisa set appears to have a profile similar to the Ouchi Hira-machi. I suppose I'll see how I feel about that tradeoff in a few years, but for now I expect the new chisels to be a major step up from my current "starter" set.
John Whitley
Deshi

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi Shawn,

Nice to "meet" you! I'm familiar with Takumi co. and Dale's work. Yeah, I think you get what I was on about with the tradeoff of the Hira-maru.

These will primarily be for furniture-type work, but I'd like to slowly explore larger-scale work. I hear that Dale's going to have a workshop in May, building an Azumaya. I'm rather hoping to attend that.

FWIW, I'm currently working out of Ballard Woodworks, and occasionally a cramped and terribly organized basement corner. @_@;;;
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:41 pm

Chris;
SeiKyusaku surpass chisel 10 pc. Sorry took so long been out of town working. It is the dovetail chisel.
J.T.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:11 pm

The 16-set is ready:
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg (74.35 KiB) Viewed 4980 times
As the striking rings are not set on the ends, the largest chisels are a little long for the box at this point.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (72.1 KiB) Viewed 4980 times
Biggest and smallest, side by side:
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg (46.94 KiB) Viewed 4980 times
unnamed-3.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg (42.15 KiB) Viewed 4980 times
8-)
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:17 pm

Drooool!

What does it say on the box?
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:05 pm

Matt J wrote:Drooool!

What does it say on the box?
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here?
Brian
Deshi

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Awesome! They came through incredibly quickly. They are in good hands.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Matt J wrote: What does it say on the box?
The calligraphy is a little on the rough side frankly. A lot of the writing on the right side of the lid is too cursive for a cursory inspection. I'll stare at it some more and see what I can figure out.

In the middle it says Kamon Kiyohisa "家紋清久"

On the left it says Heisei-hatanana-nen "平成廿七年", which is the 27th year of the Heisei era, that is: 2015
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:30 am

Brian wrote:Awesome! They came through incredibly quickly. They are in good hands.

Yes indeed, they were ready more quickly than I expected. I get to be broke now. :?

I really don't deserve these - just lucky really - but I'll do my best to honor the maker.

Return to “鑿 Nomi (Chisels)”