Stan Covington on setting up chisels

Gary Radice
Raw Log Import

Stan Covington on setting up chisels

Tue May 14, 2019 9:26 pm

He has a new blog and one of his posts is on setting up chisels. It seems detailed and useful to me (who doesn't know much about this topic) so I wonder if others who know more can comment (agree, disagree, nuances)?

https://covingtonsons.home.blog/2019/05 ... e-chisels/
SteveM
Raw Log Import

Re: Stan Covington on setting up chisels

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:48 am

No question, setting the hoops is necessary (if not already done) and how-to is covered very well by many people. In my opinion however, there is no need to remove the handle/ferrule and altering them if they are a tight fit to begin with (I also have not ever seen this recommended elsewhere). In my experience, regardless of maker/brand, I've never received a chisel that wasn't precisely and tightly fit, nor have I ever encountered a problem with the tang/ferrule/handle interface in use. In other words, why try to mitigate a problem that won't (or is unlikely) to occur? Perhaps they don't make chisels like they used to and such a problem is becoming more common? Mind you, I'm not a professional and I only ever hit my chisels with a wooden mallet (I readily accept a couple of extra blows with the mallet in exchange for handle longevity).

It is good though, to show a method of how to remove the handle in case it is necessary.
SteveM
Raw Log Import

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:39 pm

With regard to my comments above, I stand somewhat corrected. After re-reading Mr. Covington's blog post, he does say that if the ferrule is loose or digs into the handle, then such adjustments are necessary. I agree. So I don't think he's advocating this work as a matter of course. Also, I checked with Toshio Odate's chapter on chisels in his book "Japanese Woodworking Tools" and he refers to the same adjustments when re-handling a chisel or if one should arrive new and there is no clearance between ferrule and handle, then add a chamfer. In other words, there may be a problem that needs mitigating.

My apologies for making assumptions earlier.
John Whitley
Deshi

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:56 pm

One thing I would add: I would advise the use of a deburring tool, not a knife. A basic Noga deburring set, a handle with a small set of carbide blades, is far safer and easier to use. Currently available online for 13 USD or so. Noga has a large array of cutters with different geometries and materials suited to a range of tasks and target materials, e.g. various types of metals vs. plastics and so forth. Thus once you have the handle, a bit of footwork brings a lot of versatility along.

Return to “鑿 Nomi (Chisels)”