Still Empty Here??

ya
yanai

Still Empty Here??

Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:08 pm

I find it really odd that this section has no posts. For me the Japanese saw is not only the easiest tool in regards to set up... there is virtually none, but also the tool that offers one of the most striking differences in terms of performance as compared to Western saws.

I know there seems to be a huge following of Western saw collectors and that they also seem to be all the rage among American woodworkers, but I really don't understand it. I've got some really nice Western saws that just sit gathering dust because they are awkward to use and don't produce results in line with their prices. In order to keep them from buckling or binding they are supplied with blades that are too thick or uncomfortably heavy spines.

I find that I can walk into any home center in Japan and pick up a saw off the shelf for about $12 and it will out perform my best Western saws hands down. They produce fast accurate cuts, they are light and effortless to use, and they look good. And these are not even the cream of the crop so to speak.

I think these saws are really underrated because the same cannot be said of chisels or planes, where one cannot expect to get the such good results with those tools bought at the home centers.

The only slight learning curve involved with Japanese saws is the slim, narrow neck just above the handle. Care must be taken to avoid binding on the "push" stroke when sawing larger timbers that might have a tendency to bind and break the blade. In most cases a waxed (I prefer a dry oil) blade and wedge to maintain the kerf is all that's needed.

Any other thoughts out there?
Jack_Ervin.

Re: Still Empty Here??

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:29 pm

yanai wrote:I find it really odd that this section has no posts. For me the Japanese saw is not only the easiest tool in regards to set up... there is virtually none, but also the tool that offers one of the most striking differences in terms of performance as compared to Western saws.

I know there seems to be a huge following of Western saw collectors and that they also seem to be all the rage among American woodworkers, but I really don't understand it. I've got some really nice Western saws that just sit gathering dust because they are awkward to use and don't produce results in line with their prices. In order to keep them from buckling or binding they are supplied with blades that are too thick or uncomfortably heavy spines.

I find that I can walk into any home center in Japan and pick up a saw off the shelf for about $12 and it will out perform my best Western saws hands down. They produce fast accurate cuts, they are light and effortless to use, and they look good. And these are not even the cream of the crop so to speak.

I think these saws are really underrated because the same cannot be said of chisels or planes, where one cannot expect to get the such good results with those tools bought at the home centers.

The only slight learning curve involved with Japanese saws is the slim, narrow neck just above the handle. Care must be taken to avoid binding on the "push" stroke when sawing larger timbers that might have a tendency to bind and break the blade. In most cases a waxed (I prefer a dry oil) blade and wedge to maintain the kerf is all that's needed.

Any other thoughts out there?
You can look in th introduction and learn some about me and where I am located. As for saws, I watched over my dads shoulder as he instructed himself to sharpen western saws from a set of Audels carpenter books. He sharpened saws for the carpenters that he worked for and with. I use western saws but do own one Ryoba and have two others borrowed from a friend. After many years of using western saws that work, Japanese saws don't feel natural to me. I'm sure that using those that are set up proper and learning the technique of use, I would be able to master them. Where I am located there no sources close by to try out or watch others using them. Mail order is my best source. The best source for my western saws has been Antique stores. Maybe I'll be abled to sort out using the Ryoba.

Regards,

Jack
craigak
Hopper I
Hopper I

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:23 pm

Hello,
I have been using japanese saws for sometime. I now go with the replaceable blade type. Recently, I contacted Nakaya in Japan. They sell this type and so far they work quite well...better than razor saw brand here in the US. I saw this brand being used by this amazing Australian kumikozaiku craftsman: http://kskdesign.com.au/profile/about.html Nakaya will sell directly to you. I saved about 20% this way. You can purchase a 6-pack of replaceable blades at the same time. The saws are quite fine for the kind of work I sometimes dive into. See the first image below. The second image shows what happens when the mind wanders...this was a handmade saw.
Craig
Attachments
DSC_0389.jpg
walnut and port orford cedar
DSC_0389.jpg (114.94 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
oops.jpg
busted.
oops.jpg (120.09 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:49 pm

I think that saw is well on its way to 'custom'
Yxoc

Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:03 pm

I have a couple of Western saws and Japanese saws and use both. However I have been using the Japanese saws a little more often lately and finding that perhaps I am achieving better accuracy overall with them. I am learning that they are capable of cutting larger stock than their dimensions alone would suggest.

Craig - I enjoyed looking through Des Kings website, he does some very fine looking work. Some very accurate and repetitive work required for those Kumiko, takes a special kind of temperament to do that sort of work I feel.

Derek
craigak
Hopper I
Hopper I

Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:41 pm

I was searching for a noko-shorty!
Craig
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Seriously - a great use for a broken saw, modified appropriately, is for cutting the mizo on kanna dai:
231130.jpg
231130.jpg (93.42 KiB) Viewed 5562 times
craigak
Hopper I
Hopper I

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Great idea Chris! That looks like a hardwood Mitsukawa dozuki from Hida. I didn't know they could be resharpened until I asked...when the blade dulled.
Craig
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Re: Japanese saws

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:23 am

I think Japanese saws are an essential tool regardless what kind of woodworking one does. I do all my sharpening on saws that don't have replaceable blades. A good Japanese saw file is money well spent. I don't know how "authentically" I sharpen, but they work very well for me. I have made several saw handles as well. By doing all this it makes me more aware of the tool and I take very good care of them. I purchased a box of the long plastic file binder clips and keep them on all my saws to protect the teeth.
Attachments
Saw pic 1.jpg
I may have a problem.
Saw pic 1.jpg (77.22 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
Saw handles.jpg
A couple of saw handles I made.
Saw handles.jpg (80.52 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
joint model 4.jpg
Replaceable blade saw used on current joint model.
joint model 4.jpg (174.87 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
Resaw pic 1.jpg
Using one of my saws for resawing.
Resaw pic 1.jpg (199.34 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
Yxoc

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:14 am

Love those saw handles Paul!

I can see the need for a Japanese saw sharpening post. Who could do it I wonder...?

Return to “鋸 Nokogiri (Saws)”