Still Empty Here??

Chris Pyle
Deshi

Re: Still Empty Here??

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:02 pm

Wow! Nice handles, how did you learn to wrap like that? I assume there is a repeating pattern to follow? I really like it.

Further, what handmade saws do you all have? I've seen some of Chris' posts but I haven't seen anyone else mention which handmade saws they own.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:55 pm

I just purchased a new saw from ebay that has not arrived yet. When it arrives I would be happy to chronicle its journey of being put into use. I may reshape the teeth slightly for hardwood or the like. As for my handles - thank you very much. I make my handles in 2 pieces with the saw tang cut out on only one side. I then glue it together and wrap with rattan. I have some saws that have the original one piece handle. I have no idea how the saw maker is able to drive the long tang so far into the skinny handle without splitting it to shreds. Some sort of ancient magic with mumbled incantations I am sure.
Thank you for your interest.
Attachments
2 saws a.jpg
2 recent saw projects
2 saws a.jpg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
saw handle detail 1.jpg
Recent saw handle detail
saw handle detail 1.jpg (74.72 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
big rip saw handle 1.jpg
Starting the handle of a ripsaw handle.
big rip saw handle 1.jpg (65.76 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
large ripsaw handle 2.jpg
Recently completed ripsaw handle in background.
large ripsaw handle 2.jpg (199.34 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
Yxoc

Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:34 pm

Paul,
That's great, I really look forward to seeing your process.

Personally I feel that my sawyer skills are one area that is most lacking in my woodworking repertoire. Any material that improves my understanding is gratefully received.

Cheers

Derek
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:00 pm

I recently received a new "ebay" saw. While the saw is new, I did find some minor shortcomings. The saw is sharp but pulled to the left - indicating improper set or burr. I will have to retouch the teeth with a file and maybe hone the sides. The handle is kinda "clunky" and is thicker than I would like and it is not tapered in the center. I will trim the handle in the center so it has a better feel. The saw will hopefully be a good user, but I will have to get used to it.
The wrapping on the saw handles I showed earlier is not that difficult (if I did it-you can). I used chair seat rattan soaked in warm water for a while and then put some varnish after smoothing out any blemishes on the rattan.
Attachments
saw 1.jpg
Unwrapping my prize.
saw 1.jpg (202.23 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
saw 2.jpg
The saw is pretty simple - the blade and a handle.
saw 2.jpg (173.82 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
saw 3.jpg
The saw handle had the tang hole ready for the saw to be inserted.
saw 3.jpg (197.7 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
saw 4.jpg
The saw tang inserted as far as I could by hand, it will be seated the rest of the way by hitting the end of the handle with a hammer.
saw 4.jpg (218.28 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
saw 5.jpg
The saw fully seated and ready to use.
saw 5.jpg (141.01 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:33 pm

After writing the above entry, I decided to go out and reshape the saw's very plain handle. By contouring the handle it gives my hand more orientation to the saw. I used a spoke shave for all of the shaping and finished with a scraper.
This saw has no maker's mark.
Attachments
IMG_1213.JPG
Final shape and the amount of wood removed. Don't be afraid to remove until comfortable.
IMG_1213.JPG (243.38 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
IMG_1214.JPG
Handle finished with just a scraper.
IMG_1214.JPG (205.96 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
IMG_1217.JPG
height before was 1.18in
IMG_1217.JPG (212.59 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
IMG_1220.JPG
width before was .88in
IMG_1220.JPG (180.37 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
IMG_1226.JPG
I always protect the edges when not in use! Broken or bent teeth are very bad.
IMG_1226.JPG (192.84 KiB) Viewed 5556 times
Sebastian Gonzalez
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Yxoc wrote:Love those saw handles Paul!

I can see the need for a Japanese saw sharpening post. Who could do it I wonder...?
I can give it a try... at least I have the vice and some experience

Sebastian Gonzalez

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Lovely handles Paul

This is one I made for Opa's 81 birthday. He's a violin maker in north Germany.

I used some really perfumed cedar I took from his workshop. I got the saw from the same seller as you, their handles are really cheap. The saw is not bad, but my favourites are the "expensive" Nakaya he sells.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:59 pm

I love the design of the saw vice? Did you make it? I have one that has a wedge along the bottom, but yours seems to take care of the clamping and the positioning which is pretty cool. Making your handle makes you want to start sawing stuff, eh? I will put a picture of the saw vice I have. I make my handles in 2 pieces, but some of the handles I have gotten from Japan are one piece with the saw tang pounded all the way in - I have no idea how they do that without splitting it!!
I love seeing this kind of stuff!!
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:16 pm

I have no idea how they do that without splitting it!!
Cut the tang opening into the handle with a keyhole type of saw as far as you can. Then heat up the pointy end of the tang of the saw with a propane torch until it is hot - not red hot. Then slip the tang into the handle and hammer on the end of the handle to seat the saw blade.
Sebastian Gonzalez

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:50 pm

Paul Atzenweiler wrote:I love the design of the saw vice? Did you make it? I have one that has a wedge along the bottom, but yours seems to take care of the clamping and the positioning which is pretty cool.

Actually, I didn't have the screws that sunday to finish it, so I tried the wooden vice and, surprise, I didn't need a support anymore for it. I have the space to put the wedge along the bottom too but I guess will never use it, at least not with this vice. I didn't have a large piece of wood to use as support either, so it was win win situation.

The only problem it has, is that the moxon vice is not symmetric, so I need to change the angle of the file in each side. I guess I could cut the threads but I took that vice from Opa's workshop and it's really old, I don't feel I have the right to modify it. Anyway I plan to make a new one, spruce is slightly too soft for the job.

Return to “鋸 Nokogiri (Saws)”