Could someone recommend a nokogiri for re-sawing hardwood?

Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Re: Could someone recommend a nokogiri for re-sawing hardwoo

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:51 pm

I know the subject of saws and sawing has very many facets, but on the subject of using a Japanese rips saw I was initially skeptical when I saw it being used against the grain. Usually with my Western ripsaws I am going with the grain. I found using a Japanese saw against the grain difficult and clumsy at first. With practice and much repetition I was happy to find them very smooth and quick. The boards in the pictures I showed still represent quite a workout, but it went relatively quickly - 1hr ish.
Sebastian Gonzalez
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Hi

I've bought several cheap old ryobas from ebay and I sharpen them myself. I can even re-saw rosewood with them. They dull, but I sharpen them as fast as they dull so there is no problem.

The small one on the picture is the best for tropical woods. Has small "chubby" teeth and a slight negative rake. The large wide one is a pleasure to use on big pieces of wood. Skinny long teeth will break easily, so keep them for soft wood.

You just need to "touch up" as Paul says, it's incredible the difference that it makes. For rip teeth you don't even need a vice, I do the filing with the saw standing on my workbench.

Here is some really hard ash I was cutting.

Zoom of the teeth. Both work perfectly fine in hard wood.

Last edited by Sebastian Gonzalez on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Download an image re-sizer. There are several free ones to be found.
indranil
Lurker

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:28 pm

[quote="Sebastian Gonzalez"]Hi

I've bought several cheap old ryobas from ebay and I sharpen them myself. I can even re-saw rosewood with them. They dull, but I sharpen them as fast as they dull so there is no problem.

Terrific stuff! I really wish we could get stuff off ebay out here. That, by the way, is precisely the way I'd like to go. Thanks for the pictures.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:40 pm

Maybe you can locate the saw sold as Proonley or Proonly. Dick used to sell them. They have a deep gullet spaced every 3 or 7 or so teeth and just in front of those a tooth with a rip-cut file. It's not bad for rip sawing and it's not bad for cross-cutting, sold as being well adapted for hardwood and the blade can be sharpened, I use a diamond file for that one.

Return to “鋸 Nokogiri (Saws)”