Sharpening japanese style

Sebastian Gonzalez
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Sharpening japanese style

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Hi Gadge

Glad to hear you find them useful. To answer directly your question, I don't have any idea.

I do know that different height teeth exist, and seen different configurations online (ebay most probably) but haven't tried yet. This is the one I can find, the other I don't remember where I saw them:
Screen Shot 2015-02-02 at 5.30.15 PM.png
But this is a cross cut tooth... I really don't see the point of it. You can read more here http://z-saw.co.jp/en/explain/pdf/50188_wwi_press1.pdf

I will definitely try it out what you say though, sounds really interesting. I can imagine that reducing the height a tad makes for a nicer/easier cut for the raker teeth.

It would be great if you could show some pictures of those strands to have an idea what to look for. Thanks!
Gadge

Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:42 pm

Hi Sebastian,

Here is one of many links where raker teeth are discussed:
http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/htmlpubs/ ... page04.htm
These are large saws but the concept still holds true. I tuned the raker teeth on one of my madonoko saws and the swarf went from dust to strands as in the linked photo.
My understanding is that if the raker teeth are the same length as the cross cut teeth, they will not allow the cross cut teeth to sever the fibres before trying to rip them out.

Regards,
Garry
Gadge

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:36 pm

Has anyone got knowledge of the raker teeth on madonoko? As in the previous posts I'd love to know if these teeth are supposed to be shorter than the cross cut teeth as with European saws. I have a couple of madonoko which have the raker teeth the same lenth as the cross cut and would like to modify them but don't want to depart from the traditional teeth configuration.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Gadge
Sebastian Gonzalez

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:59 pm

Hi Garry

I have it in my todo list, to try the shorter raker teeth. I even managed to unpack the madonoko... but haven't had time to sharpen it yet. I hope next week I can. We were looking for a new flat for my wife while I'm in Chile in the summer so lots of stress over here, thus the late answer.

In the meantime, I found this example, or counter example: http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/w116809458

I would say that since you got a few madonoko, give it a try with different heights and tell us what you find. Next madonoko I make will be once in Chile with a grinder, filing the windows is a bit too slow for making several saws...

cheers
s

Return to “鋸 Nokogiri (Saws)”