Sharpening japanese style

Sebastian Gonzalez
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Sharpening japanese style

Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:29 am

I really like your set up Paul, great way to keep the angle of the vice constant.

The thing is not about sitting or not sitting, it's about your centre of mass. I'm sorry if I'm pointing the obvious but when you sit, the force from the file on acts roughly in the direction to your centre of mass, so it produces very little torque. If you are standing, your centre of mass will be at belly height while the force of the file at breast height. Same force, but 4 times the torque (just an estimate, the torque is linear with the distance from the axis of rotation).

What file are you using?
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:32 am

I would actually prefer to have a space where I could do sit to do a lot of my work, either on a very low seat or pad.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi over here Sebastian. I have liked looking at your website the last little while but now I can show you here on this website the version of saw tooth shield I pinched from Nagakatsu, (I pinched the basic idea not the actual implement), a couple summers back when he was touring here in Europe - I think someone on this forum had something to do with his gig in Belgium. It's a very wieldy shield.
Sebastian Gonzalez

Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Hi Ernest ,

nice to see you around.

I've seen that one in a video, but no the close up. Great!

I found this video the other day, another variation on what seems to me a hack saw blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUoPXDzyJ7Q

Note that the saw seems to be a disposable blade.

In Opa's workshop there was a really old disposable blade that had lost all the colour on the teeth, it was no problem to file it with a normal metal file. Anyone had a similar experience?
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Well I have taken the measure of making a scraper of a busted blade from such a saw and still found the steel very hard to work.
Sebastian Gonzalez

Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:44 pm

I just tried filing the back of a dictum blade, no problem to file but somehow the steel feels much more stiff than an old japanese saw... not as malleable.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to post on saw setting yet. Sunday I go to Germany for a week to visit Opa and will take my tools with me. I have a few saws to fix there so expect plenty of pictures. There is also a Cello that needs some fixing.
Sebastian Gonzalez

Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:15 am

deleted
Last edited by Sebastian Gonzalez on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:09 pm

The video (you put the link to) is awesome. The video is well done and I watched several others in the series. Even though I can't understand Japanese, watching an expert perform the tasks fills in some of the gaps in my understanding. Thanks for putting up the link.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:48 pm

The video is subtitled in Chinese, which threw me off a little. The saws being made are the Nakaya Ryūjirō brand.
Reminded me of the months I spent assisting a swordsmith in Hokkaidō.
Sebastian Gonzalez

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:05 pm

Glad you like it Paul. I find amazing how they manage to film all these very detailed things, like how the marks appear on the tooth when he's hammering.

Really envious of you Chris, I hope I can at least visit once a blacksmith in Japan. I don't think wife will be very happy with me living there for a few months.

Return to “鋸 Nokogiri (Saws)”