Sharpening japanese style

Sebastian Gonzalez
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Re: Sharpening japanese style

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:14 pm

deleted
Last edited by Sebastian Gonzalez on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sebastian Gonzalez

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:35 pm

deleted
Last edited by Sebastian Gonzalez on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.T.
Raw Log Import

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:19 pm

Sebastian;
I need to try and sharpen my saws. Thanks for the detailed steps! Also it is nice to have a translator for JAPANESE. Thanx CHRIS! Can't wate for more!
J.T.
Sebastian Gonzalez

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:32 pm

I just thought that the pictures I took are from a not finished saw... so they don't look particularly sexy.

Here 3 others saws I sharpened, a 240, a 210, and a 300mm. The 240mm is the one that can deal with any kind of hard and tropical wood without problem. 210 is better in softwoods. 300mm I haven't tried that much, but I cross cut a slab of 2in ash without problem. Good sweat tho.
Finished1.jpg
Finished2.jpg
Finished3.jpg
Sebastian Gonzalez

Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:35 pm

J.T. wrote:Sebastian;
I need to try and sharpen my saws. Thanks for the detailed steps!
You are welcome JT. Please let me know if there is something unclear once you try it. Good luck!
Sebastian Gonzalez

Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:32 pm

Since I was in the mood for sharpening, I touched up the Shirai Sangyo Dozuki I have (from fine-tools, germany). It's not a great saw, and it was the first non disposable I got. I was stupid and used it for cutting some ugly construction wood and broke like 10 teeth off. Lately I've been trying to repair it. Today I tried the shield on it to touch up the top facet.

Anyway, this is the surface it leaves on some apple. Not bad if I may say so myself.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Excellent Sebastian - most informative!
Sebastian Gonzalez

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:00 pm

thanks Chris!

I shot 2 videos, mostly for the sake of the sounds and the flow. Also so you can see the way my hands go.

I'm mostly cleaning the rust here, not really sharpening. I'm using a slightly spent file for this. Once the cleaning is done I take a new file and give the final shot.

http://youtu.be/05TIUXaeCHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd0wrFT ... NpPdDO-cqw
Paul Atzenweiler
Deshi

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:14 am

I am loving life right now!!
Sebastian Gonzalez

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:40 am

Glad you like it Paul.

I don't know if people would be interested but I was thinking on offering free sharpening. You pay the shipping and send a file with the saw, I return you the sharpened saw and the file. (Getting nice files is a pain, it takes ages and I don't have so many at the moment.)

I'm not interested on making money with saw sharpening -- I don't think a business like that would work from Chile next year. I just want to see more saws, you learn a lot from them.

If you are interested just PM me. Doesn't need to be now, I will be in austria till april and then two more months in Germany.

Also, what would you like me to cover next? Hardwood teeth versus softwood? or the diagonal chumasaru pattern? osmething else? Setting the teeth is a bit boring to explain with words so I would like to make a video instead.

this is the diagonal pattern.

picture from here http://blog.goo.ne.jp/ariari_1946

I made one saw (kind of) like that and really liked. Now Jason from mypeculiarnature has it and I'm waiting for a review. It seems he's having fun with her.

Return to “鋸 Nokogiri (Saws)”