Nakaya Eaks - rip cut questions

Brian
Deshi

Nakaya Eaks - rip cut questions

Tue May 17, 2016 8:13 am

I'm looking for a replaceable blade saw that works well in hardwoods for a rip cut. I've used up the Mitsukawa 'hardwood' rip cut dozuki and I'm looking to move on.

I'm finding that I really only use a dozuki for fine dovetails, larger dovetails (case sized) move along quicker with a small ryoba.

Am I on the right track considering the Nakaya Eaks rip saw. IIRC I saw Chris is using one, Chris how do you like yours?

Do you guys find that you can clean up the teeth a saw file once or so? I'd like to get a little more time out of these saws if possible.
djwong
Deshi

Re: Nakaya Eaks - rip cut questions

Tue May 17, 2016 9:53 pm

I have used the Nakaya Eaks for dovetails and joinery in 1/4" and 3/8" thick stock. Mostly birch, some live oak, and cedar. Even with a light touch, I somehow managed to break a couple of crosscut teeth. I have never tried to resharpen the rip teeth. My overall impression of the saw is that it requires more skill to use than I possess. The saw plate is so thin that it is very easy to bend in the cut and cause the cut to wander. The 0.2mm kerf is very seductive however...
Vips
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Wed May 18, 2016 4:49 am

This may not match your requirements exactly, but I've been considering this saw recently, http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Gyo ... 300mm.html
Brian
Deshi

Wed May 18, 2016 7:51 am

Thank you both!

David, thanks for sharing your experience. I bought a diamond file in the hopes that I can give the teeth a slight touch up on the Mitsukawa (it's the akagane line, IIRC). Outside of that I may see if Teshiba can track down a good saw to replace it that offers a replaceable blade.....or I may go the opposite direction and just buy one I can sharpen.

I like the replaceable blade saws on the whole, especially the ryoba's and crosscut saws since they can loose teeth a little easier. However I might be making a mistake in sticking with them for the rip cut.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed May 18, 2016 11:38 am

Hadn't heard of an 'Eaks' saw before, and then looked them up and realized it is what they are calling the kumiko-use saw now. I have a couple of them, one rip and one cross cut. I find them durable enough, and have been ripping bubinga with the rip saw without any issues with breakage. They are delicate, all the same.
Brian
Deshi

Wed May 18, 2016 7:13 pm

Thanks Chris! If they stand up to bubings they will handle pretty much anything I will throw at it.
indranil
Lurker

Thu May 19, 2016 7:41 am

The Nakaya saws seem fragile at first but even for a low skill woodworker like myself they work wonderfully well. I use them on hard woods, typically Teak, Ash and even Saal and they said through withiout a problem. The cross cut saw is particularly fast - easily the fastest saw I possess. I find the saws work well if left to work themselves, meaning with little or no pressure they will cut cleanly and quickly.
Brian
Deshi

Thu May 19, 2016 8:52 pm

I have the crosscut and like it a lot. Glad these are holding up well in hardwoods. All told I may end up buying both the Nakaya and a mitsukawa handmade.
Jack Straus
Lurker

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Just a heads up - the "Suizan" brand saws, available for a good price on Amazon, seem to be re-branded Nakaya. I bought the small flush cutting saw this week and "Nakaya" is stamped on the handle. In case anyone is looking to get into these saws or needs replacement blades cheap.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:21 am

Here's a link for those interested:

https://www.amazon.com/SUIZAN-Japanese- ... B0725WJDB1

Sure looks like the Nakaya product in the pics.

Return to “鋸 Nokogiri (Saws)”