Question about Volume II

For those wishing to discuss the material found in The Art of Japanese Carpentry Drawing essay series.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Question about Volume II

Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:55 am

A couple of essay purchasers in recent weeks have commented to me that they find the introductory illustrations on page 4 of Volume II very hard to decipher. Can anyone else confirm that -did you find those illustrations hard to follow?

~C
Yxoc

Re: Question about Volume II

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:06 am

Chris,
I believe that you refer to the three photos of a hopper with the sashigane placed in position to measure each of the three cuts, face cut, but and miter cut?

If so then I didn't find them particularly difficult to understand, however I think maybe by that stage I had a better understanding through some of your other material that I had 'got it' by then.

Given the nature of the subject and that it involves a lot of visualisation, transposing 2D drawings into 3D shapes, I find that it takes a moment for nearly every diagram, to orientate my brain and form the 3D solid in my head, and understand the portion being referred to. I don't think there's a way to short cut that - we're dealing with some unfamiliar and complex shapes - there's no substitute for time and study. Perhaps some will have a natural aptitude for it and do it quicker, others may have to work at it.

Generally I find your printed material to be well illustrated and clearly written - do others agree?

Derek
Mi
MichaelC

Re: Question about Volume II

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:13 pm

Hi,

Yeah, I'm with Derek. I've found both the mailings and the TAJCD material clear and well explained. That's not to say that it doesn't take quite some work to assimilate and a bit of thinking.

Michael

Return to “TAJCD Volumes”