On TAJCD Vol II, Rev 3

For those wishing to discuss the material found in The Art of Japanese Carpentry Drawing essay series.
roberts
Double
Double

On TAJCD Vol II, Rev 3

Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:35 am

This is related to my question in the CSG Mailing 2 topic, which Chris answered by:
Please refer to TAJCD volume II, page 111-118, where tangen is looked at in detail, and proved geometrically.
Two small typos about page numbers:
- on page 114 it states "(page 111, top)"; I think this should be "(page 112, top)".
- on page 117 it states "drawing on page 144"; I think this should be "drawing on page 115".

I find page 116 difficult to follow, especially the second paragraph.
I have the impression that the illustrations on pages 115 and 116 are being treated as one illustration (which if the paper was big enough, or the scale small enough they could be).

Could someone explain how to interpret the projection at the right side of page 116 ?
(Which I take to be the illustration referred to as "The view of the board at the right of the illustration ..." )

I feel very pedantic writing this, sorry !
Rob
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: On TAJCD Vol II, Rev 3

Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:31 pm

Nothing pedantic that I can see there Rob. I think I'm the one that gets to be pedantic most of the time!

You found some errors in the text, and I am most grateful. Looks like revision 4 is not too long away...

I made the changes to the page number references (you had apprehended the correct pages to reference), and for the second paragraph on page 116 I re-wrote slightly:

"The points taken at the top of the drawing, which project down in red, are the arrises of the facing board where they meet the mating board, of which we can only see an end view in the above drawing. The view of the board at the bottom of the illustration shows these projecting points clearly. As shown, the intersection of points in the lower plan view produces the butt miter joint we seek."

Page 115 and 116 are connected to one another. The bottom plan view of page 115's picture is the top plan view portion of the page 116 picture. The term "view of the board at the right of the illustration" was a hangover from when I had all of it in one picture (which necessitated the whole works being shrunk down to much, so I divided it into two pictures). I have struck that term from the revision I just made.

The view on the right side of page 116 is the same view of the end section of the board already shown on the top of the illustration on page 115.

I wish I could have giant fold-out sheets as part of these .pdf documents, and not have to divide the illustrations up like that - it definitely would aid in clarity of understanding if everything could be on one sheet.

And Rob (and everyone else), please keep digging through there and if you remain puzzled, or find typos, or need something clarified, please let me know. I am constantly looking to improve the material and make it more accessible and correct in every way. I'll revise it 100 times if I have to.

~C

Return to “TAJCD Volumes”