手押しカンナ盤 Jointers

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Re: 手押しカンナ盤 Jointers

Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:12 pm

I am not sure about the date of manufacturing, when I gave the serial number to Martin they said it could have been build the latest in '72 more likely '68 or earlier.
I have been looking at the mechanics again yesterday and decided that I am going to keep upgrading this machine for a long time. Everything that needs work can be fixed without major issues and I will be addressing all of them in the next year. I just love it when things are build well, why isn't that the case with everything?
Yxoc

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Yeah, it looks beautiful, and it has the right pedigree.

You know why they aren't all built like that - planned obsolescence. I just recently joined a local woodworking club because they have a lot of machinery that I can use. They have a new Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer. Before joining the club I had been thinking about getting something in that class - glad I got to see one up close first! If I do get the space one day for my own machinery I will get an older machine from the time when they were built well.

I should say though, the helical cutter heads do live up to the hype!!
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:45 pm

Mathieu wrote:I just love it when things are build well, why isn't that the case with everything?
I do believe the profit margin has something to do with it, and in turn a economy which has come to be driven by consumption and the endless desire to have the shiny new thing.

Martin is one of the few machinery makers left in Germany, compared to how many where were 30 years ago. They have been trying to sell more budget-conscious models too in the past 10 years - hopefully they will not pursue this course too strongly.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:30 am

Yes, I think upgrading is the way to go. That said, I wonder if the nature of a combination machine of this age does not present certain limitations. I mean, that bulk, that mass, together with all those moving, interconnected parts.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:31 am

The mass and bulk of this machine sure is an advantage. I would be very suspicious towards a jointer that I would be able to move myself. I have seen and worked with plenty of these modern low grade machines. To me a heavy stable bulky machine is a prerequisite. Imagine sticking a big oak beam true your thicknesser only to see it tip over when it comes out the other end. No joke I have seen it happen!
On the other hand there are always limitations to a combined machine, more moving parts to maintain, time to setup, checking the fence often etc, there are plenty. At the moment my shop space and available funds are limited and this machine was the best I could do at the time. If I would be setting up a permanent shop I would prefer two separate machines. The machine works and that is what counts for me. It actually works really well and it is all too easy to get lost in the pretty world of tool acquisition when there are more interesting things to do. Cutting wood for example.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:20 am

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, the more bulk the better, (little round, yellow smiley face symbol).
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Mathieu wrote:A well known German made machine.
1421130.jpg
1421130-3.jpg
1421130-2.jpg
pos.:
  • eats everything you feed it
    extremely well build with grease nipples on every moving part
    very accurate, thicknesser adjustable to a tenth of a millimeter
    high opening up to 280mm
    very wide table up to 640mm
    feed speed adjustable
    tilt-able fence
neg.:
  • extremely loud
    tables need to open in order to use the thicknesser to it's full capacity, requires better planning during work
    only two knives, nonetheless it produces a very smooth finish because of high rpm
    aeroplane loud
    Mr. Dust Collection, no I am sorry we don't know him
Hi Mathieu,

Do you know what the model is of your machine? I'm guessing they don't come up very often but I'd like to do a search :)
I'm glad you plan on keeping it, it looks like it's built to last centuries not decades.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi Chris,
It is a Martin T30 of what I remember. It doesn't say anything on the machine about the type. I am not sure if you can easily find one but there should be many machines out there with comparable quality. good luck with your search let us know if you find anything.

Return to “Heavy Metal”