手押しカンナ盤 Jointers

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Re: 手押しカンナ盤 Jointers

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:30 am

A well known German made machine.
1421130.jpg
1421130.jpg (44.76 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
1421130-3.jpg
1421130-3.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
1421130-2.jpg
1421130-2.jpg (51.38 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
pos.:
  • eats everything you feed it
    extremely well build with grease nipples on every moving part
    very accurate, thicknesser adjustable to a tenth of a millimeter
    high opening up to 280mm
    very wide table up to 640mm
    feed speed adjustable
    tilt-able fence
neg.:
  • extremely loud
    tables need to open in order to use the thicknesser to it's full capacity, requires better planning during work
    only two knives, nonetheless it produces a very smooth finish because of high rpm
    aeroplane loud
    Mr. Dust Collection, no I am sorry we don't know him
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:34 am

Did you mention it was loud? I'm getting a strong impression it might be kinda loud...

Is this yours?

Pity about the lack of chip collection.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:27 pm

I got this machine almost two years ago and love it ever since. I have a dust cap for it which could work in the thicknesser mode but lack the funds to acquire a dust-blower. For now it is ok and doesn't effect the planing quality if you remain aware of it.
I have removed a thin strip of sheet metal which caused decompression of air in thicknesser mode and this made it noticeable quieter to my great relief. In planer mode however there is still air decompression between the knifes with chipper and the edge of the table. I am still thinking of a way to deal with this. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. If I would have a permanent shop I would certainly try to install some decent dust collection on it. I am sure I could figure out something to make it work easily and effectively. For now it just sprays chips like there's no tomorrow.
It is just a great machine huge and powerful and still very accurate. If you are not in a hurry there are a lot of gems out here in Europe on the second hand market.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:05 pm

If you upgrade to a Tersa head there would be a significant reduction in noise.

There are some really nice machines for sale in Europe, that's for sure. Lucky you!
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:09 am

My old planer has toothed inserts at the mouth opening, feed side and out side, these are optional/replaceable with the intent to relieve air compression there reducing the noise. Because the tone or pitch of the planer or thicknesser is low the noise is more a question of possible irritation than damage to your hearing.
Last edited by ernest dubois on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:22 am

That's true about the slotted table lips - also reduces noise. My Martin has them so I kind of presume the older one did too, but I guess not. If the table lips can be unbolted and taken to a machine shop, the slotting could be tackled.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:21 pm

Yep they can be unbolted. Great idea guys!!
I am going to look into that and see what the options are. I could maybe have new ones made we will see.
Made my day..,

Considered Tersa heads a long time ago but it would be a terrible expensive option since I should have to replace the whole knife block including bearings.
I had the bearings replaced with the help of a professional machine shop and information provided by Martin and they had to be realigned with some accurate measuring tools I don't have.
It would be super cool to extend the life of this machine a couple more decades and upgrading some of the parts but there is wear on many of them and I struggle with the question how far I want to go with this. It is designed to last long so that is what I hope to do with it. But other parts like the V belt wheels show clear signs of wear and could need realignment as well at some point.
I guess I will just have to spread the costs and keep it alive as long as possible. I would hate to part from it.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Glad that was helpful.

There is a less expensive type of Tersa head made from many thin plates attached together and pinned.There are also Terminus insert knife heads - - but you're still looking at at least $1500 I'm sure regardless.

Another noise reducer, possibly, would be to replace the drive belts with link belts, and this would also make the machine run with less vibration. Even on my Martin jointer i can feel a slight vibration from the drive belts.
Mathieu
Triple 2
Triple 2

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:47 am

I looked into the link belt option and I am sold. I am planning on replacing all my belts on both the table saw and jointer planer.
Changing the cutterhead would be a major project which I am trying to avoid for the time being.
Changing the belts and having those table lips machined or replaced is what I will do in the near future. I really hope to keep the giant going for many more miles.

Thanx again for all the great tips.
Yxoc

Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:55 am

Mathieu,
That is indeed a lust-worthy piece of iron. What is the year of manufacture?

I could definitely use more iron in my diet...

Return to “Heavy Metal”