Routers

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Re: Routers

Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:36 am

Hi Derek,

I don't have experience with either of those routers, but an additional aspect that I consider important, especially in a router, is ergonomics. The way the machine feels in the hand during use and the process of changing bits, height adjustment, attaching accessories, etc., really makes the difference between a machine I enjoy using often and one that tends to stay on the shelf. If its possible to handle either or both of those models, I'd recommend fiddling with them until the shopkeeper kicks you out. Try actually changing bits. If there's any way to use one for real before purchasing, jump on it.

-Matt
Brian
Deshi

Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:15 pm

I use the OF1400 to clear out waste in larger joinery. I like the router for the most part, especially with the right bits (up-cut I believe) that clear waste effectively during a plunge.

I'll be frank in that the lack of an LED light or truly clear visibility in the area of the bit drives me nuts when use this tool, other than that I'm happy with it.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Brian wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:15 pm
I'll be frank in that the lack of an LED light or truly clear visibility in the area of the bit drives me nuts when use this tool, other than that I'm happy with it.

I would also like it greatly if festool added lighting to their routers. There is a way to mount LEDs I'm sure, but it would be nice if the factory would think of stuff like that.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:15 pm

A little out of date, but worth the read:

http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html
Yxoc

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:18 am

Gents,
Thanks for all your input. It's coming clear that there is no such thing as the perfect tool, but if I can buy a decent tool that satisfies most needs, then a man could be happy.

I managed to go and have a play with the Makita 2301 and I have to say it seemed really nice. Solidly made in all respects. Although in a similar power class to the OF2200, if felt far less unwieldy. Once the plunge depth lever was locked it felt rock solid with no perceptible play. The depth setting could be described as agricultural, but again, solidly made and functional.

I can't seem to find the Bosch in stock anywhere. Seems like it's a special order at every bricks and mortar retailer I go to - if I wanted that experience I would just buy it online and it would probably arrive quicker to boot.

Next weekend there is one of those working with wood expos in Sydney and I will go down. There may be a Bosch stand as well as some other router manufacturers with stock available to handle.

After that, let's talk about portable dust collection...
nyamo_iaint
Raw Log Import

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:11 am

Hi Derek,

I'm a router non-owner, so I'm also interesting in whatever you find out. Though I don't have handy power either.
The rest of this is perhaps a bit too Sydney and present time-centric. My apologies to the rest of the world.
Yxoc wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:18 am
Next weekend there is one of those working with wood expos in Sydney and I will go down. There may be a Bosch stand as well as some other router manufacturers with stock available to handle.
I'll be going tomorrow (that's Friday). I went last year but don't recall any general power tool stuff there (Trend, Carbatec, etc excepted). I could be wrong though. There's a web site listing the exhibitors http://impressiveexhibitions.com.au/ind ... ydney.html
There's also a discount voucher available on UBeaut's forum if you haven't found it already. You can save all of $4!

Iain
Yxoc

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks Iain,
I'll be there on Sunday, so unfortunately we won't have a chance to catch up - it's not often you have the chance to meet another member of this forum given its geographic spread!

Copied the lack of powered tool displays, that's a shame. There's some other bits and pieces I wanted to check so hopefully there will be some value in it for me.

Return to “Heavy Metal”