makita 2030 jointer/thicknesser

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
ka
kakashi

Re: makita 2030 jointer/thicknesser

Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Derek,

As you're in Oz you probably have a better chance at scoring a Japanese machine. They're few and far between here although there is a lovely Hitachi model on the bay right now but it's out of my price range. :(
Yxoc

Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:03 am

Kakashi,
although we are geographically closer to Japan, I rarely see Hitachi woodworking machinery in my searches of the local ebay or other machinery sites. Compared to the US the Australian market place is probably a tenth of your's so proportionally less manufacturers are supported I guess. Good luck with your search, I hope something suitable comes your way soon.

Regards

Derek
tuzserhu
Lurker

Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:41 pm

Makita 2030 is a good choice.
Hitachi F1000 is another one.
parts are available and easy to fix DIY.
Rollers can be coated or reordered.
110V is not a problem, yes they are loud but that is why you wear ear protection.
I have had one for over 10 years now, rebuilt mine and it is a champ.
Use it every day - there is nothing on the market that could replace it.
Has great resale value too.
Steve
Raw Log Import

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:59 pm

For a 12 x 16 ft. shop I would go with a Ryobi 10 inch thickness planer, these things are cheap and blades are easy to change - run it outside and rake the chips into a compost pile. Make room in your shop for a good used jointer with at least a 60 in. bed. It is worth the footprint. And spend the money on a water-cooled blade sharpener. With good sharp blades on these tools you will be able to get a fine surface on wood up to entry door size pieces. Cost is less than $1000 if you shop around.

Return to “Heavy Metal”