Hollow chisel mortiser

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Hollow chisel mortiser

Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:14 pm

I asked him the same question about whether he used it and haven't heard back yet.

The story to the extent that I know it:

He met a Japanese carpenter on Long Island and later started building himself a house with the daiku's help. The daiku did all the koya-gumi-bari (curved interlocking logwork) - house looks quite amazing, let me tell you. Anyway, as he was getting most of the way along in that project, and the house was basically covered with a tarped shell, a guy came along and saw it and wanted him to build the same again. But he wanted it all done in a big hurry. Ever met a client like that? ;)

The deal they struck was that they would go to Japan and buy some machinery to expedite the timber frame work. That's how he got the running planer. In those days, any extra room in a shipping container could be stuffed with more things (unlike today where every object has to have its own crate and documentation), so he filled it with more used Japanese machines. That's how he acquired the 5-head mortiser, the Hidaka dado crosscut machine, the Petty work table saws, a Tōkai sliding table saw, a couple of super-surfacers, several other mortisers...you get the picture. That job basically set him up with a well-equipped timber frame shop Japanese style.

I think after they finished framing that house for the client they haven't used the timber framing machinery too much. When I visited they were making a bunch of windows and he is thinking of selling some of the machines, like the 5-head mortiser.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:20 pm

He wrote me back and said they used it on that house project only. He wants $6500 for it, plus NY state tax, whatever that is. He may have other chisels for it.

~C
De
Dennis

Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:27 am

I'm not sure what size chisels that carpenters normally use in their mortising machines, but 30mm is a lot of chisel. That seems like it would require some good power to push down through and be expelling the chips through the tight space around the bit. I have up to 18 mm for my set up.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:27 am

Well, the larger machines, especially those with hydraulic feed, can push a 30mm chisel in softwood without too much fuss. I think the biggest hollow chisel size is 36mm. A Makita portable chisel mortiser can also take a 30mm, but it has to work too hard to push it, in my opinion. The saw's clamp will flex when you are trying to drive the chisel in.

I would say that 15mm, 18mm, 21mm and 24mm hollow chisels are the most frequent/useful choices in Japanese timber work. Add in a 12mm for pegs. It's good to have a wide range of sizes at hand.
Cole
Raw Log Import

Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:29 pm

I'm tempted. I would love to see it in person and run it.

Return to “Heavy Metal”