Hollow chisel mortiser

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Cole
Raw Log Import

Re: Hollow chisel mortiser

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:25 pm

Please, if you don't mind. Zipcode is 74136
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:32 pm

Will do.

Cole, because I am providing a service - i.e., time and energy - I charge a commission of 20% on the item. I still think this will bring it in around $2000, but I am not up on current pricing. The good news is that the Yen has weakened a fair amount in recent months so it will be a good deal compared to last year.

For shipping you will have a couple of options, SAL or EMS. SAL is cheaper and takes 3 weeks or so. EMS is very fast - 3~4 days typically, but more expensive. I'm not 100% certain if there are upper limits for size on EMS parcels. I'll check into it and get back to you by PM.

~C
Cole
Raw Log Import

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:35 pm

Okay with me. Just PM me any and all information you find out.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:42 pm

Have already sent off request for pricing.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:15 am

Have heard back. Bad news I'm afraid. The 7305L model is no longer produced by Makita, and there is no stock in Japan. Only the 7305 model is still made by Makita, a model opens to 183mm width. Cost for that would be $1300, plus shipping.

Shipping is also problematic, as the parcel is larger than what can be shipped by Japan Post. So, if you want it, it would have to go Fedex or something like that. Can look into it if you wish.

~C
De
Dennis

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:58 am

If someone wanted to come to Japan to source used hollow chisel mortisers, I think they would have an easy time locating them. Now that carpenters are less and less doing their own fabricating, you can often see the portable mortisers for sale in second hand recycle type shops that carry tools. They can go for quite cheap.

For commonly mortising into 8"x8" wood, it might be worth considering investing in a stationary type machine, as can be more typically be found in a furniture making shop. The larger device is both faster and easier to use, and the more precise adjustments make for better accuracy, also benefitted by the generally much better overall refinement built into a good stationary machine. The only drawback I can see might be positioning exceeding long timbers on the machine, rather than taking the mortiser to the wood when using the portable type. Obviously it calls for requiring more space to have the standing machine, plus the costs, though used ones aren't very hard to come by these days as well. I wonder if many Japanese stationary types ever made it to the states, or of anyone is currently importing? There are also some domestic brands available in the states, one I had used many years ago was not so dissimilar to the Japanese type.

Chris, did you happen to look into EMS shipping through the Japanese post office? It's also a service through the Japan post, but somehow a different entity of sorts. The size allowances are somewhat greater than through the regular Japan post, I think a portable mortiser might fit within the requirements, especially if disassembled.. It is a very secure way to ship as well. I believe that there are some options in terms of shipping speed and the consequent charges.

Dennis
http://dennisyoung-kagu.blogspot.jp/
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:29 am

Oh yeah, there are heaps of used mortisers for sale in Japan, both stationary and portable. With the recent sales tax increase it seems that consumption has dropped a notch and stock is decent at most used tool resellers from what I have seen.

To expand a bit on what Dennis was saying in regards to stationary mortisers, I think if you are handling 8"x8" and larger timbers, the standard hollow chisel machine is not the best bet for convenience of use. You have to lift the timber fairly high to get it on the table, and would need to rig up auxiliary support tables. There is, however, a purpose-built hollow chisel machine intended for those working with larger timbers, in which the work table is quite low to the ground.

Here's an example, a Shinoda model with three heads:
450x600-2014061300017.jpg
450x600-2014061300017.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 8209 times
I know of a machine like this for sale on Long Island, for about $5000 if anyone is interested. Otherwise, there really aren't any of these to be found stateside.

Another one, single head with side support tables, the hydraulically powered Shinoda SS-G52:
03171501_53268faad1e44.jpg
03171501_53268faad1e44.jpg (142.98 KiB) Viewed 8209 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:32 am

As for the hollow chisel mortisers used by furniture makers, the one I drool over a bit is made by Tokiwa, the Servo-V:
tokiwa02.jpg
tokiwa02.jpg (28.71 KiB) Viewed 8209 times
Compare the size of the box column to anything else on the market - hulking! These machines are well designed. The one on the right in the picture has hydraulic clamping.

These can be had for $4000~5000. Older ones are green, newer ones are white.
Cole
Raw Log Import

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:14 pm

Chris Hall wrote:Have heard back. Bad news I'm afraid. The 7305L model is no longer produced by Makita, and there is no stock in Japan. Only the 7305 model is still made by Makita, a model opens to 183mm width. Cost for that would be $1300, plus shipping.

Shipping is also problematic, as the parcel is larger than what can be shipped by Japan Post. So, if you want it, it would have to go Fedex or something like that. Can look into it if you wish.

~C
Bad news indeed. I will keep my eyes open for a used one and if you happen to hear about a used or new one, please let me know.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:55 pm

Tell you what...

I have a 7305L, along with several chisels, and chisel adapters. If I acquire one of those bigger stationary machines I would consider selling the Makita, so I'll drop you a line at that point.

Return to “Heavy Metal”