Hollow chisel mortiser

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Hollow chisel mortiser

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:43 am

It's sweet!
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:22 am

I don't know if this might be of interest, but mandaraya is selling a drill adapter for hollow chisel machines:

http://www2.odn.ne.jp/mandaraya/daikudo ... yakku.html
De
Dennis

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks for the link, Chris. I wasn't aware of that type chuck attachment. If using the mortiser as a drill press frequently, switching back and forth, it would be convenient not having to remove and reinstall the part that secures the chisel, which gets in the way for drill press use. Simply using that chuck would be real cool. Also, reinstalling the chisel holding part involves lining up some T show bolts while supporting the weight of it, one of those simple activities that can a a little stress to your day. Someone was wise to conceive of the chuck.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:26 pm

I think the part which locks the chisel in place does not have to be removed, as it locks the slip chuck in place just the same way.

I am frustrated by my p.o.s. drill press, and thinking of getting a better hollow chisel mortiser - like the Tokiwa -and this drill adapter. Gives two machines in the footprint of 1.

Maybe in the spring of 2015
De
Dennis

Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Right, it doesn't have to be removed with that chuck that you showed, it fits in like a chisel. I mean if you want to use the chuck that is already on the mortiser to hold a drill bit, there being already a standard chuck on the mortiser that holds the inner shank of the chisel. Take off the part that grips the chisel and you can use it as a standard drill press. or a long drill bit can simply pass through the holding part if you still get the hole depth that you need.. The thing with using a mortiser as a drill press, your distance from the edge of the work to the hole center is reduced by the back face of the table. Having a wide drill press table is more helpful for a lot of times. There is only the one speed available off the mortiser motor as well, though some machines may offer variable. A mortiser wouldn't be good for drilling metal, plus the exposed adjustment shafts and sliding ways that wouldn't take kindly to metal shavings.

I think that a good drill press and a mortiser supplement each other well. I have two drill presses, an ancient one with a large table, and another that is more a machinists type, I guess. The machinists is a good one that I picked it up for fifty bucks, but it always bugs me that someone could so carelessly drill into the table like they did, all across the swing of the table. I should more hide it, then people might not think it was me. Reputation is everything! I wouldn't mind repairing it somehow, welding it then having it resurfaced, or finding a replacement table. It's a drill press that you find in a lot of Japanese machine shops.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:25 pm

The thing with using a mortiser as a drill press, your distance from the edge of the work to the hole center is reduced by the back face of the table.
That's a good point for sure, which has crossed my mind before but seems to have been conveniently forgotten somewhere down the line.

I have a radial drill press which can drill about 28" away from the column, but the spindle has too much run out so it is pretty much a piece of junk. All the newer drill presses for sale look kinda junky unless you want to spend over $10,000. I've also considered going to a mill-drill, or a milling machine. I think the selection of decent drill presses is probably better where you are.
De
Dennis

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Yeah, a buddy of mine is a machinist with a small but great shop. You'd like him, a second generation machinist and an obstinate and very stubborn man with a wide streak of kindness that runs through him. He has two milling machines, one seems devoted to pretty much drilling. You can tell just by watching him drill a hole that it is very precise. Takes up a chunk of floor space though. Machinists that can operate a lathe that isn't CNC have become rare as well.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Cole wrote:I would be interested in getting a stationary one set up for larger timbers but I would like to purchase a turn-key machine with tables etc. like the one you posted above. (Sasada SS-G52)
I finally got some pics back from the guy with the mortiser. It's an unusual unit, with 5 heads on a turret. The more the merrier. There are three square hollow chisel bits mounted, 15mm, 18mm, and 30 mm, a dovetail hollow chisel bit, and a chain mortiser as well!

The model is not too common- I couldn't find any other pictures of the same machine online.

I asked for large format pictures, and received small ones - sorry!
-4.jpg
-4.jpg (33.2 KiB) Viewed 8677 times
-5.jpg
-5.jpg (33.18 KiB) Viewed 8677 times
-6.jpg
-6.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 8677 times
-7.jpg
-7.jpg (28.03 KiB) Viewed 8677 times
I also now realize I was misreading the kanji - choosing to read 'sasa'-da for '篠田' instead of the correct reading for those characters of 'Shinoda'. The character '' can be read as 'sasa' or 'shin' and the actual meaning is a type of bamboo grass. Trying to decide which reading is the correct one to use for a character is one of the challenges to Japanese. There are general rules of course, but many exceptions and odd cases.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:36 am

After I asked for larger photos, they were in fact forthcoming - well, a couple at least:
-8.jpg
-8.jpg (129.82 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
-9.jpg
-9.jpg (127.1 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
He said the mounted hollow chisel sizes were 15,18, and 30mm, but it looks more like it is 15mm-24mm-30mm to me.

Shinoda is a general iron works and fabrication outfit, also making large metal vats and canal lock gates, etc.
De
Dennis

Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:26 am

That's quite an arrangement, wonder what it sounds like? Did the fellow that sent the photos, ever use it? Presumably all the chisels and other cutters aren't turning at the same time.... :o

Return to “Heavy Metal”