Zimmermann FZ-5

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Re: Zimmermann FZ-5

Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:46 am

Chris,

What about trying to find a reliable contact in Germany to check out the machine for you? I know a few people over there, none with significant knowledge of machine tools, but I'm sure someone I know knows someone who does. Maybe someone on the forum can help?

Are you talking about the Connelly book? It's on my list. Someday...
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:09 pm

I do have a good contact in Germany however he lives about 6 hours away from the seller and I can't ask him to make such a long trip.

And yes, it's the Connelly book Machine Tool Reconditioning. There was also a good 6-part article in Home Shop Machinist magazine last year on scraping.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Chris Hall wrote:I do have a good contact in Germany however he lives about 6 hours away from the seller and I can't ask him to make such a long trip.

And yes, it's the Connelly book Machine Tool Reconditioning. There was also a good 6-part article in Home Shop Machinist magazine last year on scraping.
Chris, if you need to scrape the ways will you be purchasing a Biax-type tool? Or relying on hand-powered scraping? I've seen some videos of Chinese scraping and it's incredible the amount of precision they are able to maintain.

I have the Connelly book as well since I assumed it'd come in handy in the future (just purchased my first metal lathe but they ways look pretty good).
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Was planning on hand scraping...
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:52 pm

Got some more information today, including a couple of videos. Everything on the machine seems to work. The only thing missing from what i can see is the lamp which mounts on the side of the head.

Here are some pictures from the Zimmermann FZ 5V brochure:
FZ 5V Brochure.jpg
FZ 5V Brochure.jpg (682.32 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
FZ 5V Brochure pg. 2.jpg
FZ 5V Brochure pg. 2.jpg (610.38 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
FZ 5V Brochure pg. 3.jpg
FZ 5V Brochure pg. 3.jpg (721.67 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
This is from a different brochure - shows a two-head mill on the left, with an even larger table and with a tracer stylus to boot:
FZ 5V Brochure (2) pg. 2.jpg
FZ 5V Brochure (2) pg. 2.jpg (639.03 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
I believe that configuration is called the 'Duplomatic'
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:34 pm

I've been using Google translate to work out what the sales brochure says, however it isn't able to translate all the words and I'm hoping that some of the German (or German-speaking) members here could help out. I've underlined the problem words and areas:

{EDIT: Marc kindly provided translation assistance, so the text below is now sorted out}

"This machine was from a well-proven for years console milling machine It closes another gap in our milling program for model and mold.

The ideal combination of existing components - like the adjustable milling head in two levels (see Figure) And the solid structure of stand and console with shaved Boxways one hand and completed by us compact, ribbed and pivotable work table on the other hand - we can this Offer subject an ideal machine.

The figure shows the 3-way operation of milling spindle: manual with hand wheel, lever handle for disconnection for drilling and automatic feed. The ideal combination of various processing options. On the front of the cutter head a scale in mm-division and 1% shrinkage has ever mounted. The displaceable vernier scale and an adjustable depth lock are also mounted on the front face of the milling head.

Notable Advantages

Machining of all machinable materials such as wood, various plastics, non-ferrous metals, cast iron and steel possible.

Tolerance range after Prof. Schlesinger (machine tool standard).

Controls such as hand wheels and levers arranged clearly. The new training and activation of the automatic longitudinal and round table feed by a slight pressure on the appropriate wheel to make the operation of this machine into an experience.

Central lubrication of the table, longitudinal, transverse and circular movement as standard.

Modules for the various functions easily adjustable, equipped with large-scale and fixed in the zero positions.

Milling spindle with large speed range, forward and reverse, permanently installed quick change chuck ISO 40 and with braking or blocking device.

Router table swiveling angle with machined edges, centering 55 ⌀ H7,360˚, with reading accuracy 15' and readjustable zero catch (fig.), Longitudinal and lateral movement provided with matt-chromed plated scales and adjustable verniers.

High reading accuracy of the adjustable handwheel scale

Optional accessories:

Automatic table lift, single speed (rapid traverse)

Automatic transverse movement of the worktable continuously (can be retrofitted)

Coolant system, consisting of the coolant pump and drain trough to assemble the angular edge of the worktable

Normal angle head 1: 1 360˚ swivel - ISO 40,15 '

Small radii angle head (for mounting on normal angle head)

Additional Milling head of Universal Milling Machine FZ1 with 8 speeds, 560 to 14,000 rpm.

Arbors, milling tools and clamping elements please refer to the special Tool Catalog or the catalog of our Model Centers.
Marc
Raw Log Import

Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:02 am

Ok, lets see what we have....

Nonienstücke: vernier scale (scale to read fractions of mm)
Tiefenarretierung: depth lock (to fix the working depth)
Handradskalenringe: handwheel scale(ring?) (see third picture, below middle)
"to assemble the angular edge of the worktable" : assembled around (the angular edge of) the worktable
Zusatzfräskopf: additional milling head

Hope this is helpfull.

Exciting piece of "Heavy Metal" :!:
Beside the SuperSurfacer the coolest piece of your shop equipment. :shock:
Can't wait to see this monster in action.

kind regards from Germany

Yeeehh, first post.... Hello everybody! :oops:
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:05 am

The giant has awakened?

Thanks for the help!! Will amend the text in the previous post to reflect these changes.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:12 am

It was worth working through the translation, as I have now learned the machine can handle steel and cast iron milling, and has a centralized lubrication system. Also didn't realize that the secondary milling head had such a wide range of speeds. Also didn't know there was a main spindle lock. Cool!

One of the things I love about German are the incredibly long words. You'd rarely see anything like this in English, at least not in a promo brochure for a universal milling machine.

Examples?:

Kastenbauweise: box construction

Einstellmöglichkeiten: possible settings

Bearbeitungsmöglichkeiten: Editing options

Zufriedenheit: satisfaction

Kleinradienwinkelkopf: small radii angle head

Kühlmitteleinrichtung: coolant system

Ablesegenauigkeit: reading accuracy

Yes, no doubt I derived a certain amount of zufriedenheit working my way through that - much better than obtaining schadenfreude eh? :) Part and parcel of gesamptkunstwerk quite possibly.

My German has just run out....
Brian
Deshi

Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:06 am

Oh this is COOL!

That lever on the side of the milling head is probably for switching from low gear to high gear, giving it the range of speeds necessary for both wood and steel. That, in my opinion, is quite rare, the Bridgeport I have will go from a speed for steel on through aluminum, but wood requires a much higher range.

What's the taper on the spindle?

Return to “Heavy Metal”