Circular Saws?

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
michael langford
Raw Log Import

Re: Circular Saws?

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:10 pm

Chris, honestly I've only used the Mafell saws a few times when working in other people's shops, must have misunderstood the brake part. Don't own any and not likely to, unless the building market decides to buy timber framing again.
Once timber framing actually bought into working with power tools (skilsaws and electric drills, then Makita, Mafell, Holzer, etc.), it was only about twenty years until Hundegger machines ruined it for the rest of us.
The only parts that ever really interested me were designing frames and laying out timber, cutting with a sharp framing chisel, and raising, (and the rare opportunity to carve letters and ornaments) never found much delight in running power tools, just a means to an end, usually making more money for someone else...
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:10 am

I see....

I just wrote a long response to that but felt I was getting pedantic, so I'll leave off. Thanks for sharing.
durbien
Sweeper of Floors, Maker of Tea

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:04 pm

What's wrong with being pedantic?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:17 pm

Well, unless someone expressly asks for your opinion on a matter, it is a tad boorish to rattle on with a lecture.

I saw you other thread topic starter of course, but chose not to answer it. I don't want to come across as some sort of windbag pontificating on this or that and would often prefer to leave space for others to respond. Sorry than no one has done so so far.
Yxoc

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:34 am

Ok Team,
It's not very often I get to brag on this forum about new tool purchases, but today a box arrived from Europe, what delights could possibly be hidden within:
DSCF4417.JPG
DSCF4417.JPG (226.54 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
It turns out, you can fit a Mafell Krosscut saw in there:
DSCF4416.JPG
DSCF4416.JPG (263.07 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
Here is the saw, separated from the crosscut rail and raised to minimum plunge depth:
DSCF4414.JPG
DSCF4414.JPG (266.65 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
A European plug is only a small nuisance - fortunately Oz voltage and frequency is nearly identical to that used in Germany. A cheap adapter plug gets me out of trouble here:
DSCF4413.JPG
DSCF4413.JPG (265.14 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
Strangely (for a saw sold as a crosscutting system) the package comes with a 12 tooth ripping blade as standard. I order the general purpose 23 tooth blade as an extra. I'm not sure how much value I'll get out of the 3 year warranty being in Oz but I will duly register it online regardless:
DSCF4412.JPG
DSCF4412.JPG (225.6 KiB) Viewed 6060 times

I've only had a bit of time today really just to 'play' with it. The quality does seem fantastic, and the cut at full depth across the piece in the picture was pretty damn square with the crosscut track set at zero straight out of the box. My only point of reference is the Festool HK85 which I handled in the shop and I suppose is the direct competitor. It didn't feel as nice and the AvE video review of their track saws has kind of turned me off Festool somewhat. That said, the Mafell cost SIGNIFICANTLY more. When my wallet has recovered from its sucking chest wound I will tell you all how much it cost, delivered to Oz.
Yxoc

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:37 am

I would say that the quality of cross grain cuts with the 23 tooth blade is excellent!
DSCF4411.JPG
DSCF4411.JPG (186.95 KiB) Viewed 6061 times
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:21 am

Nice piece of equipment! I've used Matt J's saw, which is a similar model, and it was a pleasure.
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Drooool!

I'm totally sold on the KSS saws. And that's the big boy! What sort of work do you plan for it?
Yxoc

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:06 am

G'Day Matt,
I plan to use it to help speed up stock preparation, and assist with cutting some of the joinery for the carpentry models that I do through Chris' instruction. It will be put to use for general work in other projects. I have the use of some tools at a local club including a jointer, thicknesses, bandsaw and tablesaw. The table saw is not the best and working large stock on it is awkward. I'm hoping that being able to bring the saw to the work, along with some of the track guides, that accurate compound cuts can be more easily done at home. I felt that the cut depth of the KSS80 was the minimum required to be useful in this role.

A router next to help expedite the hogging out of waste so often required in carpentry joinery. So between that and the saw, I hope to move things along a lot quicker.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:32 am

I'm curious to know how much you paid for the saw. My impression is that imports are quite expensive in Oz due to tariffs.

Return to “Heavy Metal”