Importing Machinery from Europe to the US

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
MarekS.
Lurker

Re: Importing Machinery from Europe to the US

Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Paul Atzenweiler,
me too..... ;)
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:53 pm

ernest dubois wrote:Lamello is Swiss. Hey there you go, a top quality nasty wafer joiner.

They invented the concept:the only new idea in woodworking for the past couple hundred years.
That's not a woodworking machine in the sense I meant, it is just a power tool. And a nasty wafer joiner is hardly the only new idea in woodworking in 200 years. I find that assertion borders on the absurd.

I did forgot to mention Inca, a Swiss company which makes some high quality small machines. I love Oerlikon drills, but they aren't really a woodworking machine.
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:02 am

Nonetheless a machine, just a portable one. Tell me the recent innovative developments that are anything more than updated versions of old ideas. Let me guess at one, the router. Well, if you consider changing the relationship of the cutting action innovative, yes. A difference about what "new idea" means probably.
Is Inca Swiss or French, I have seen indications of both and haven't gotten that one straight in my mind ever since. Perhaps the technical distinction of a post box address.

No need to get so defensive, it gets in the way of you seeing the possibility there might be at least an attempt at humor. (I mean the first part of my quoted response, not the second. I always laugh at these things myself after posting them up and then get surprised when you come back a-pommeling).
RLSIII
Raw Log Import

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:57 am

English is a deceptive language the subtleties of inflection can make a large difference in the intent of a statement. add in preconceptions of another languages inherent subtleties and the intended message can become easily misconstrued. I feel as though a combination of differences in opinion and lack of inflection in written word contribute to the perception of offensive/defensive statements.
that being said I can think of a number of New ideas in woodworking over the past 200years, the electric motor, obviously a game changer. standardized systems of measurement being another.
ernest dubois wrote:Lamello is Swiss. Hey there you go, a top quality nasty wafer joiner.

They invented the concept:the only new idea in woodworking for the past couple hundred years.
I feels that a comment such as that should have had some sort of inflection modicon to help convey a sense of jest.
this is probably the first time ive bore witness to the need of such a thing to appropriately interpret a message and I now understand the request to use them in the forum guidelines.
Rshards
RobS
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:19 am

ernest dubois wrote:Nonetheless a machine, just a portable one. Tell me the recent innovative developments that are anything more than updated versions of old ideas. Let me guess at one, the router. Well, if you consider changing the relationship of the cutting action innovative, yes. A difference about what "new idea" means probably.
Is Inca Swiss or French, I have seen indications of both and haven't gotten that one straight in my mind ever since. Perhaps the technical distinction of a post box address.

No need to get so defensive, it gets in the way of you seeing the possibility there might be at least an attempt at humor. (I mean the first part of my quoted response, not the second. I always laugh at these things myself after posting them up and then get surprised when you come back a-pommeling).

Ernest,

as noted in the forum guidelines, 'attempts at humor', when not clearly spelled out or indicated otherwise, do not tend to convey so well in writing and are easily misconstrued. Generally when something gets misconstrued, it isn't for the best. Your humor fails to come across in your writing - at least that is my experience. I've been there and done that (posted comments in humor which people took the other way) myself - and I've learned that deadpan humor and sarcasm almost never comes across well. Heck, a lot of people don't get that kind of humor in face-to-face conversation.

I wasn't being defensive either, just taking your words at face value.

If you wish to convey humor, there are smilies at the left of the screen which may be freely used when posting a comment.

A recent development that is anything but an updated version of an old idea? How about Tersa head, with centrifugal locking of the knives? The use of lasers for defecting and cutting alignment? Martin's digital parallelogram cross-cut fence? Martin's automatically opening or constricting table rings on their shaper?
ernest dubois
Raw Log Import

Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:57 am

OK, in the spirit of, well, the o'l team spirit... see, I just can't help myself, but on to other more pertinent 'n interesting stuff. These things mentioned helical cutter heads, lasers, electric motors... they don't fall into what I see as new ideas but they may be innovative and are certainly developments and updates but so is the new packaging of my corn flakes. Remember how they used to have to cut and past and xerox all that and now its all done digitally too. And sorry, but I cannot bring myself to use no damn smiley face. Still, I am, maybe along with other readers here, looking for any good new ideas. (This last sentence should not be taken as a challenge, the intended meaning was quite literal.)

Return to “Heavy Metal”