An Old Combo

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
John Whitley
Deshi

Re: An Old Combo

Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:30 am

it flexes more than a little at the very location where you want it to be rigid as all get-out: at the cutter.
That’s an excellent observation, thanks. The Dual 51 absolutely fits that description. It has an end -mounted parallelogram affair for the fence guide, and an aluminum fence. It’s billed as saving space behind the jointer table that would otherwise be clearance room for the fence post, but flex in the design is a rather huge tradeoff.
Brian
Deshi

Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:15 am

I debate these machines as well but im committed to a single function machine. The trade offs just make them seem less than ideal for certain work one might consider a big jointer as being otherwise suited for. Not needing to make space for a planer is nice but not sure it's worth it.
John Whitley
Deshi

Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Well put, Brian. I'm "coming to my senses" again, and in any event this unit has sold. But Chris' earlier observation puts a sharp point on something I'm wrestling with: it's easy to see the designed-in, well-marketed advantages of a machine. It's harder to see the never-discussed design disadvantages, implementation problems, and other quiet failures.

Return to “Heavy Metal”