Quiet Dust collectors?

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Quiet Dust collectors?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:17 am

I would never consider anything from Laguna tools..."A bunch of used car salesmen" describes the company pretty well I think.
Brian
Deshi

Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:38 am

Hah, I recall a blog post mentioning how bad they are. One of the shops local to me bought the 14" saw, I recall them being pretty excited about it when it arrived, a year or two later I asked about it and the response was "Don't buy it!".

The minimax machines get good reviews.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:07 am

I've seen a couple of Minimax machines at Harrelson's Stanley's place up in Pepperel, MA. They looked like solid pieces of equipment. More or less a direct competitor for Felder I imagine.
Brian
Deshi

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:51 am

They seem very similar, Felder is a little more expensive for a 16" resaw. Minimax seems to be in a small group offering big resaw capacity in a narrow footprint. The largest single phase machine actually offers 24" resaw.
John Whitley
Deshi

Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:01 pm

FYI, John at Bridge City Tools just posted his review of the Gyro Air dust collector mentioned earlier in this thread.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:16 am

The unit looks fantastic, I have some issues that will prevent me from buying it over cyclone. It's expensive (double the cyclone) I have a feeling that a good deal of that is the bridge city tools premium. I don't want to be an early adoptor of something like this, I.E. test pilot. It takes up significantly more space in terms of footprint.
djwong
Deshi

Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:35 pm

The footprint is roughly comparable to my 2.5hp Oneida Super Gorilla, which has a footprint of 53" x 28". The Harvey is at 56" x 23.5". The Harvey will require more footprint for ducting, whereas a traditional cyclone has the ducting ports off the floor.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Isn't the Oneida about half the price of the Harvey?

I think one design shortcoming on the Harvey is the position of the hose connection on the front of the machine. I wonder why they couldn't put it on the top or back, or better yet, provide a couple of options?
Rob
Lurker

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:48 pm

I know it is slightly off topic, however, as Brian mentioned he was looking at a bandsaw I thought I’d share my recent findings as we have just gone through the process of upgrading all of our woodworking machinery in our workshop.

As far as bandsaw go, I was originally looking at Agazzani, as Chris had rated these bandsaws very highly in one of his posts. Unfortunately Agazzani have shut up shop and manufacturing moved to Germany when they were bought out by Panhans who have in turn been bought out by Hokubema. The machines made by Panhans, are very good, however as there are no reps here in Oz, we ruled that out as an option.

From what I have been able to ascertain Felder's range of bandsaws are manufactured by ACM in Italy, and SCM’s Minimax range of bandsaws are manufactured by Centauro, also in Italy. Both companies produce high quality machines and I don’t think you’d go wrong with any of them. In the end we decided to go with the Centauro CO 600 HD.

As for the sliding-table saw, spindle moulder (shaper) and combined jointer/thicknesser, the manufacturers we considered were Felder Format4, SCM L'invincibile, and Martin, we also looked at Altendorf for the sliding-table saw. Evaluating the various machines and the company reps was an interesting process, Chris your analogy of used car salesmen is spot-on. However it didn’t take long to ascertain that Martin well and truly stood out above the rest, in quality of build, optional extras, R&D and as a solid company, many Italian manufacturers have closed their doors and we have had first hand experience of this with one of our current machines.
The Martin machines we are acquiring are the T70 sliding-table saw, T27 Flex shaper and the TP300 combination jointer/thicknesser, which BTW is made by Griggio in Italy. Due to the limited space in our workshop we had no option but to stick with a combined jointer/thicknesser. By planing out our work flow we do not find the combi to be a hassle when moving from one operation to the other, sure two separate machines would have been great, but at twice the price! Yes we had a budget to stick to!
The machines haven’t arrived yet and are due to land early 2017, I’ll post some images when they are set up.

To get back on topic, our dust extraction system is a Reverse Pulse collector with 'on-line’ cleaning. It was installed in the early 80’s, so it's a little old but does an excellent job. As far as noise levels go it is LOUD so it is located out in the loading yard. We had it overhauled last year and also replaced the industrial bin, where the dust would collect under the hoppers; with a briquetting machine, the briquetter has truly paid for itself in the time and resources we are now saving.

If anyone is in Brisbane, please drop me a line as you would be more than welcome to visit our workshop and have a look at our setup.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:01 am

Return to “Heavy Metal”