Quiet Dust collectors?

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Quiet Dust collectors?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:04 am

"I was originally looking at Agazzani, as Chris had rated these bandsaws very highly in one of his posts. Unfortunately Agazzani have shut up shop and manufacturing moved to Germany when they were bought out by Panhans who have in turn been bought out by Hokubema. The machines made by Panhans, are very good, however as there are no reps here in Oz, we ruled that out as an option."
Well, to be accurate, I had heard/read that Agazzani made a fine bandsaw and i lot of people thought they were tops, but I was not speaking from personal experience. i've only owned hitachi bandsaws.

It's too bad that some of these various German manufacturers do not have a more international presence. I guess it is a dollars and cents issue, investment vs return type of thing.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks Rob, appreciate the insights. I've narrowed down to minimax for certain, now I'm just figuring out which size to get. The 20" covers everything I want to cover.

Would any of you consider the MM24 in the same situation? Always nice to have huge capacity, but given the additional cost and my inability to actually conjure up a project which requires resawing 24" material, I'm wondering if I'm not just spending to spend at that point.

Cabinets are covered by 20", and tables using matched wood out to 40" (2x20). I can't imagine I would want to resaw 24" wide slabs with an upright saw.

Am I missing something plainly obvious?

Chris, nice find! The price is right, what shippers have you guys used and was the experience something you would want to re-live?
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Shipping often sucks. Trucking freight centers do not hire the best and brightest to operate the forklifts, let's put it that way. Collection in person is always the best option. Otherwise, there is a risk involved but some of that can be mitigated by paying extra insurance, and paying for stout crating. Jointers are not the sort of thing you want lifted by their tables or dropped...

I used to think I was cursed in this regard, having had shipping hassles so many times. However my neighbor recently took delivery of a Grizzly jointer and it came in pretty bad shape.

Crating has a plus and a minus. On the plus side it appears that it provides better protection and precludes theft/loss of loose bits, but on the other hand the forklift driver may think he can simply push your box around using the fork tine on any surface of the box, and you will have to pay a few hundred at least for decent crating. Cheaper to rent a u-haul trailer and go and collect it, in many cases, if you can.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:46 pm

WRT Bandsaw, I measured and the 24 isn't able to get under the garage door. The 20 is the same height at the opening, and so I think I'm set on the 20.

Sigh, shipping machines sounds just as bad as shipping furniture. Since a jointer isn't quite in the budget just yet, I plan to search out my options both new and locally available used before shipping a used machine. I will plan my budget around 12" options.

The Felder group has a machine in their line the A3-41a from Hammer, 16" jointing width and likely around $4500-5000?
Brian
Deshi

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:26 am

Bandsaw has arrived! Getting machinery is a giant pain in the ass....good thing they ship it in a crate and also good thing that I have friends that are much larger than myself.
Brian
Deshi

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:44 am

What fun this has been, in order to clean up my garage and make it workable I've had to build a storage system, put up overhead lighting, wire in task lighting (of which was a gift but will likely need to be replaced with something more functional), wire in the machine and wire in for the upcoming dust collector.

So far I've been to my local electrical supply and the big box stores more times than I care to recall. Believe it or not the local commercial electrical supply is not as well outfitted for commercial power cords as the local Big Box....which I found baffling as I generally work with local retailers over big box.

We received a cold front, so I spent the majority of that time in more layers of clothing than normally recommended for shop use.

I've also come to realize that I'm going to need spares of many, many tools that I already own to save myself a great deal of stair climbing.

:lol:

Question for the group here. One of my friends brought this up and it's been lingering, have any of you placed heavy machinery on a normal 4" thick concrete slab?

My father's shop has plenty of heavy equipment, but IIRC his slab is heavy-duty.

The J/P I'm considering is 20" and likely 1800-2000lbs, and while I'm hesitant to re-live the same shipping experience with a 3x heavier machine....it's likely worth the effort. If I do go ahead with this machine I'm going to hire a rigger if the seller won't supply one....while the fedex team were very nice indeed....they were woefully unprepared for shipping a crate to anything other than a loading dock or flat driveway.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:44 am

Riggers are expensive. Perhaps consider having the machine shipped to a trucking terminal and then have a tow truck with a tilt bed go and pick it up. With the tilt bed, so long as they can back up to your door, it is fairly straightforward to unload. Rolling the machine on pipes is usually the easiest method.
Brian
Deshi

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:08 pm

Good idea! Thanks Chris that sounds like a good approach.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:13 pm

A Johnson bar is also very helpful for moving machines around - maybe you could beg/borrow/steal one?
Brian
Deshi

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:39 pm

The minimax saw comes with one setup for the tool which is handy, my father has one for more general purpose that I can surely borrow for the next round.

I was pretty spoiled working in his shop as he has tools for this sort of thing and an overhead i-beam for lifting big and awkward things.

Return to “Heavy Metal”