Quiet Dust collectors?

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Brian
Deshi

Quiet Dust collectors?

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:49 am

Have any of you experience with the Oneida V3000? Is it actually quiet as it claims to be?

I am saving my pennies for some big kid toys to supplement my handtool work, such as a resaw bandsaw and likely a thickness planer, and since I may need to keep this DC in the workshop (ideally I'll put it in the garage, but that requires executive approval) so I've been on the hunt for a setup that won't drive me crazy.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Quiet Dust collectors?

Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:48 pm

I have never heard a quiet dust collector, unless is is remotely located. I boxed mine in with some wood and sound deadening and it made hardly any difference. Would dearly love to put it outside, but that brings fresh problems.

The bulk of the noise comes from the motor and impeller.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks Chris, probably best to put it in the garage and reduce the noise that way. I'm spoiled by my festool vac which is 62 decibels, where this DC is advertising 75 decibels at 10'.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:45 pm

My machines are generally fairly quiet and I could do away with hearing protection, save for the dust collector which is by far the loudest thing in my shop.

I have the Oneida twin 55 gallon drums for collecting chips from my cyclone, along with their double large filter cartridge set up, and their stuff is good, and same goes for their customer service. I imagine that V3000 would be a good choice.

Would recommend liners for the chip drum, and oneida is not a good place to buy them, pricewise - better is Uline.com
Brian
Deshi

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:37 pm

Im looking at quiet tools as well, skipping the lunchbox planer benchtop jointer and getting some worthwhile tools once I can afford them.

Glad to hear your positive experience with Oneida, I'm likely going for that one or the comparable steel version. Twin 55 gal drums! Nice, so far I'm thinking the 35gal fiber drum, since I'm in a residential area. I saw their pricing on liners and it did raise an eyebrow, so I'll certainly buy the uline liners, thank you!
John Whitley
Deshi

Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:17 pm

So far, the quietest cyclone dust collection systems I've personally encountered uniformly do one thing: the shop has an enclosure that physically separates the cyclone from the machines, essentially a "dust collector room" at an end or corner of the shop. The new shop at the Port Townsend School of Woodwoorking does this, as does the shop of a professional woodworker of my acquaintance up in Snohomish, WA.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Another vote for putting it in the garage then and ducting it into the workshop.

It received approval in passing from the executive board, so far...it's looking good. The best time to ask questions like these are random sympathetic moments, hehe.
Matt J
Hopper I
Hopper I

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:11 am

I dunno how hard it would be to get one, or the cost, but this looks pretty cool- from the Bridge City blog:

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/201 ... #more-9016

If it is indeed quiet (they claim 61dB @3m!) there would be obvious benefits to keeping it in the room with you.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:04 am

I saw that too a while back, and wondered the same thing: how much does it cost? It looks like an intriguing technology, though it also does not look to have an especially compact footprint..

EDIT: from an online search, it looks like the price of that Chinese dust collector is $3900:

http://harveywoodworking.en.made-in-chi ... actor.html
Brian
Deshi

Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:10 pm

$3900 is s bit much but it does sound (haha!) nice.

My wife suggested that I keep all of the machine tools and dust collector in the garage. I'm still
Thinking of the v3000 or v5000, they have a pretty narrow footprint. A narrow footprint is important as my garage is not huge by any stretch of the term.

I'm planning a 20" bandsaw, 8" jointer and 20" planer. I'd love a combo jointer planer but they come in a max size of 16" at an outrageous cost.

Return to “Heavy Metal”