Electric Hand Planers

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Electric Hand Planers

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks Mark,

I appreciate the insights, same idea I have in mind is to knock down the highs then work the full length of the board by hand plane or through a thickness planer. I'm fine with winding sticks and straight edges for this work, I've used them daily for years now and so I am comfortable with the idea of using something like this to do the bulk of the work and not expecting it to produce a flat surface without my direction.

I did some more research on this yesterday having spoken to a few people who have used it and ended up buying one. Ultimately I liked that they list it at 79 Db, where the Makita is listed at over 100Db. I plan to sound proof my shop(s) at some point in the near future, but in the interim it is nice to have tools on the quieter side. I wear ear covers and still find my router table irksome in that it is LOUD, I don't really enjoy that experience. My quieter tools such as bandsaw and various junk from festool are a little easier on me.

Nice to hear about the rabbets as well, will be handy to have.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:12 am

Anywho, if this is a success I'll post a video of the process. if it's a total failure....I will remain quiet on the subject hahahah.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:23 am

I'll be interested to hear how you like the Festool planer. It's an interesting design and quiet and I've thought about picking one up in the past but haven't pulled the trigger.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:49 pm

Chris, will do! I'll give a better and more substantial report after some real time on this tool, but so far with about 2 hrs on the machine I'm pretty happy with it. Tunes easily, cut's fairly cleanly. Nice and quiet, about the same as the palm sanders.

Daruma, Thank you for your insights! I seem to recall a video from one of the fellows in Japan using one of these on a slab and actually some footage or a photo from a famous studio near to me that had been using them. It's seems they're much more common in Europe and Japan. I'm glad to see that I am not misremembering because you're doing the same.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:34 pm

Ok, I finished jointing the first slab, 21" wide x 7' walnut. Took a 1/2" cup out of it and a decent twist. I plan to leave it for a while to see what returns and what stays flat before another jointing, finish flattening with hand planes and thicknessing.

2 hours of work, so maybe if I had to do it again I could knock it down to 1.5 or 1 hour now that I'm familiar with the machine.

It's no replacement for a big jointer, but I have a feeling that even when I do have a big jointer, knocking the twist out of a long board may save me some grief and passes.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:36 am

Daruma wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 am

Its no doubt working with slabs is a time consuming process that involves using properly cured wood but I more often than not find the unique grain characteristics of flat saw material more interesting than quarter sawn material. The exception would be figured or curly quarter sawn material and that is the most expensive and hard to find wood and is often improperly cured as it is in many cases rushed to market.
Of course everyone has their own definition of what is interesting or beautiful. Whether something is attractive flatsawn or quartersawn depends partly upon what material it is. Flatsawn red oak - or any oak for that matter - I consider quite ugly. Ditto for flatsawn Douglas Fir. If you want to see white oak with ray flecks then you need quartersawn. In Japanese architecture it is normal to choose riftsawn orientation for timbers where possible, so that what is presented on adjacent faces of a timber is harmonious, instead of the clash you get with one face quartered and the adjacent face flatsawn.

To me though, quartersawn connotes quietness and dignity, while flatsawn is tending to be a bit loud, a bit garish. Quartersawn is elegant, while flatsawn is rustic.

Knowing about wood movement, I see flatsawn material as cheap and likely to have problems over time, while the opposite holds for quartersawn. However, most people do not relate to wood in the same way that I do, they don't see the 'meaning' in the choice of grain. Most people, when they think of wood's 'graininess', are thinking of flatsawn.

I've never heard of wood suppliers "rushing wood to market" because it happens to be quartered and/or curly. People do rush wood to market which is improperly cured, cutting corners in the drying to make a buck, and I've been a victim of that as a buyer, but it doesn't connect to anything so specific as what the wood's grain orientation might be. Maybe that is a thing in Japan(?)

If anything, what drives the process, in North America at least, is that wood is STUFF (might as well be plastic or cement, etc.) that you saw out of a log, and the faster and more simply you can saw it out of a log, and the faster you can dry it, then the more money you can make potentially. This invariably means logs are sawn plainly, or through-and-through, producing almost mostly flatsawn stock, and those boards are 1" thick. Thick stock is sawn less and less often as the drying cost makes it relatively less profitable.

And most sawyers will fight you on it if you ask them to saw for quartersawn wood, as it takes longer for them. I've had that happen so many times when dealing with guys and their Woodmizer mills. Finding quartersawn stock is difficult in many species since they simply don't saw for it, and haven't for a very long time. Try buying quartersawn siding boards for your house and see how far you get. It used to be a thing though, a long time ago.
Daruma wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 am

Slabs have a definite and permanent future in furniture making as they are often unique and beautiful pieces.
I hope not. To me things like slab dining tables they are a fad, and another avenue, like Hummers, McMansions, fancy bling on your wrists and neck, for flaunting wealth in a more or less gaudy way. I'm not saying this is true for all owners of course, but certainly a portion. Loud and attention-getting stuff tends to do well here.

Any shop with a wide belt sander can crank out a slab conference table out of whatever wood in a matter of a week or two- and hey, it can be profitable. That's why they do it. The base typically is some welded steel thing, or indifferently designed and executed nasty wafer-jointed laminae of the same species. It's not craftsmanship, not to me at least. It says to me that the maker lacks imagination and/or skill. With a slab it is easy, and you really don't need to understand much about wood grain relative to movement or sound design practice.

Taking a log and sawing a big slab of wood out of it is the most obvious and easiest way to obtain a table top. Of course this would have been, from the earliest days of cutting up trees to make wooden things, the first thing to try. As woodworking evolved though, and observation of how wood behaves as it dries and moves deepened understanding, humans moved to more sophisticated ways of putting things together from wood. It's only in comparatively recent times, when 'perfect' surfaces are readily produced industrially, that people yearn for something which looks like a natural thing, like a wood slab. In the day though, the demonstration of high craftsmanship was to produce such perfect surfaces out of a natural material, for it was hard to achieve. Things have been turned on their head in modern times when it comes to making wooden things. Few people really relate to wood anymore in their daily lives, and it has become something akin to wallpaper or paint in their minds, devoid of any other qualities but surface appearance.

If you look at furniture made during an era where industrially-produced alternatives were not readily available, like glass, plastic, steel, concrete, melamine, and all the rest, you will not find much in the way of surviving examples of large slab pieces. I've looked in plenty of Museums - I always go to the furniture displays at museums and ignore most everything else - and have yet to see any slab furniture from the 1600~1800 period. Maybe it was made, but it didn't survive. Perhaps it didn't survive because after it had warped and moved to a point, it was a better idea to simply cut it up into other lumber and make something else from it. This recyclability is, in my view, the only positive thing I can say about slab pieces. When high end furniture making was at its Zenith, craftsmen made things using frames and panels, even though it was the more costly time-consuming method.

In Museums where I see old pieces which have slab elements, like a table with a folding leaf, say, it is invariably the case that the slab component has warped and distorted so as to no longer lay or sit flat. I would say this is 100% the case in what I have seen. With furniture made with joined solid board carcases, it is very common to see splits in those carcase sides, or problems between that carcase and the attached frameworks due to wood movement.

In the furniture I admire the most, Ming Chinese, there was only one type of furniture piece in which slabs were employed, namely a type of long and narrow hall table in which a slab of squared up rosewood was placed upon a pair of pontoon-like framed stands. Survivors of this type though are very rare, and one normally finds only the stands have survived. Seems that owners of these pieces, in hard times, valued the stands and held on to them, but cut the slabs up into firewood to keep warm. They valued the thing made artfully by the craftsman (stand), but looked at the slab as essentially a piece of material and nothing more. I tend to see it the same way. :)

A slab represents a lot of possibility, but for me all of those possibilities involve slicing it up to employ it in the most intelligent way relative to the natural propensities of wood as a material.
Steve
Raw Log Import

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:17 pm

This tool had really helped out for doors. It is an old Stanley, blades are spiral and carbide. You can still find these on Ebay for not much. Very solid and accurate.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:58 pm

There's a Porter Cable door edge planer like that, no longer made, if I'm not mistaken. That Stanley of yours looks way old - 1940's?
Brian
Deshi

Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:50 pm

Chris, I think that is a fair assessment. I feel similarly. That bit about red oak made me chuckle a bit as I've really had a dislike for red oak formed as a youth. It just seemed almost a depressing material to use...until I saw big panels of it quarter sawn and now I think....wow...red oak! Left without a finish other than by hand plane, and in quarter sawn orientation it is a gorgeous material. I've had the same experience with douglas fir, I always thought it to be junk as a kid. As a woodworker I don't think that way at all, I really enjoy it in its quarter sawn orientation.

Still, there is some call to the wild for me and live edge, but the state of it has worn on me a bit. Some of it I see done very very well with excellent proportions and an avoidance of gaudiness in the same way that Charlotte Perriand can make an otherwise dull looking skirted bench into a sex pot of design inspiration.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Brian wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:50 pm
Chris, I think that is a fair assessment. I feel similarly. That bit about red oak made me chuckle a bit as I've really had a dislike for red oak formed as a youth. It just seemed almost a depressing material to use...until I saw big panels of it quarter sawn and now I think....wow...red oak! Left without a finish other than by hand plane, and in quarter sawn orientation it is a gorgeous material. I've had the same experience with douglas fir, I always thought it to be junk as a kid. As a woodworker I don't think that way at all, I really enjoy it in its quarter sawn orientation.

Still, there is some call to the wild for me and live edge, but the state of it has worn on me a bit. Some of it I see done very very well with excellent proportions and an avoidance of gaudiness in the same way that Charlotte Perriand can make an otherwise dull looking skirted bench into a sex pot of design inspiration.
Brian, I had never heard of Charlotte before but I'm curious to know what you like about her designs. Not something I find very interesting at all. To my eye, her work vacillates between garish and somewhat dull. However, I do enjoy reading other's thoughts when it comes to design (either their own or their influences).

As to the slab tables: a family member has asked for a slab table and I'm in the process of trying to lead them down a different path. It's simply not something I'm interested in putting any effort towards. I don't despise them but there are plenty of people knocking them out because they are *hot* right now.

Return to “Heavy Metal”