Heavy metal update

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Heavy metal update

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Oneway center and Albrecht chuck arrived. Very happy with both, nicely made things. Having dragged this hunk of shit home a few weeks ago, I'm pretty happy where it's at currently with all these attachments and a few good turning tools this thing is now quite capable of spindle turnings. I plan to blank out a few legs shortly and see how they go. I worked one already but my inexperience is showing, so I'm off to make a few more.

The Oneway stuff is really pretty nice, for a modern day tool tangibly priced it's really top notch. The lathe is now very quiet to run with the original center now attached to my wall and no longer in use.

Albrecht lives up to it's name, wow, what a chuck.

I have a mortising bit, bird's mouth type, finally. So I'll be cutting some typical slot mortises with the machine and squaring them up soon. Once this job wraps up I'll splurge on a few more tools for the mortiser and get that thing down to what I want.

It takes to get these things to what you want in terms of tooling, practically a life-long endeavor, i'm touching the tip of the iceberg here and it feels like it's been a while. Much like you've warned me, Chris, WRT shapers, these tools are a smaller scale version of needing five things to get one thing done.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Those are nice chucks - good to get a genuine one and not a knock-off. Congrats!

i've been thinking about a Oneway lathe, the big one, on and off for a few years. They look pretty good, and yes, vaguely affordable.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks Chris! Judging by the spare parts I've been buying, I'd imagine Oneway makes a pretty nice lathe.
John Whitley
Deshi

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 pm

Nice to hear the lathe is shaping up. The Albrecht chuck, particularly a good used specimen, sounds great. On a lark, I took a quick look across eBay and the used ones appeared to be of the vintage "lightly rusted, thrown in a gravel tumbler". I've had just enough experience with drill chucks with a beat up taper to really not want to go there again.
Brian
Deshi

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks John! I was careful, paid a few extra bucks and got a clean and untouched one. Most of them looked like they had been removed from their tapers with a claw hammer, or dropped on the floor.
The machinist I worked for had one and recall a strict warning that no one was allowed to touch it except for him. I knew if anything happened to it that I’d have been working for free for a week.

Return to “Heavy Metal”