Heavy metal update

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Heavy metal update

Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 am

Good to know
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:33 am

I wasn't terribly impressed with Ex-Factory auctions either but that is where I won the Hitachi Cb75f bandsaw. As a counterpoint, I contacted the seller after I received a quote from the Exfactory. Exfactory wanted to charge me roughly $6-700 for shipping and a couple hundred for crate and pallet.

I worked it out with the seller so that I gave him $100 to build the pallet and drop off at Fastenal. Another $100 to have it delivered to me. I won the Hitachi for $500 but with fees and shipping, I ended up paying $825. I found out the blade guide had been repaired so that'll likely be an additional expense but it came with two brand new stelite-tipped blades, so offset $350-400 for that. (which is an incredibly fortunate find)

ExFactory was simply the best option for me because the only other Hitachi near me over the past 3 years, the seller was asking $1700 with a dull blade. Not impressed with ExF's price gauging but sometimes they are still the best option.

Saw a Martin jointer in the NE sell for $5700ish a couple months ago. Wish I could've pulled the trigger at that time.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm

That’s a great deal!

I found them really pushing the crating on me, advice I ignored. I was still able to insure the shipment for full replacement cost for a reasonable amount through u-ship even though I had it loaded onto a pallet. They quoted me very high for crating.

I also contacted the seller but he wanted no part in making a similar arrangement.
Chris Pyle
Deshi

Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Brian wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:03 pm
That’s a great deal!

I found them really pushing the crating on me, advice I ignored. I was still able to insure the shipment for full replacement cost for a reasonable amount through u-ship even though I had it loaded onto a pallet. They quoted me very high for crating.

I also contacted the seller but he wanted no part in making a similar arrangement.
It was a great deal but there was a great deal of time spent searching for the deal and waiting. That was all time I could've been working wood and actually progressing in skill. Don't get me wrong, I think it's one of the better deals I've found (along with my jointer) but those things take a lot of time and deals are rare.

I often pay extra to know I'm getting quality because I believe it's important.

As to your auction win, sucks the seller didn't want to help you out. That's the gamble with these types of auctions, you never really know what you're getting or how cooperative they'll be.

Still sounds like you have some great machines being set-up in your shop.
Brian
Deshi

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:36 am

The seller in this case was the bank, so they used a local business to do the work. They had an agreement and couldn’t break it, I don’t blame them for sticking to their agreement but was certainly hoping that they wouldn’t :)

I’m any case, certainly happy to have this stuff coming together. It’s been a long time in the plans it seems. Building a kitchen by hand to finance this effort has certainly made these two machines feel both hard earned and very much needed. A few times in this build I felt I pushed myself too near to repetitive movement injury.
Brian
Deshi

Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:01 am

That is awfully shiny my friend. Congratulations!

Nice to see that the planer has 4 table raise/lower screws.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks Chris! I had originally wanted to go with the elite as opposed to the elite S but once I found that the elite s is much more industrial like with regard to the details I decided to go for the S. I think it is also 400lbs heavier than the elite.

Getting this machine up a sloped driveway was exciting.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Super happy with the rotary phase converter, it’s amazingly quiet.

Also happy to finally fire up the mortiser. Pretty happy with it, can’t wait to get the hollow chisel attachment.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 pm

What model of phase converter did you go with?

Return to “Heavy Metal”