Heavy metal update

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Heavy metal update

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:18 pm

Certainly, I may end up doing that if the DC motor doesn't work out. I have it on hand, so I thought to use it but I know that an AC converter and 3 phase motor are preferred for this application. I've also thought that it is partially due to cost, as the DC motor and controller is considerably expensive...not sure why I bought one when I made the belt sander, but I have it.
Brian
Deshi

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 am

Believe it or not the DC motor bolts up, two bolt holes align perfectly and the remainder will need to be cut. I will do that if it works out.

I plan to run a 230v line and try it out, if it is a failure I will replace with a 3 phase motor. I expect that I can simply put the step pulley on this motor if it doesn’t offer enough torque at low rpms and find myself ahead of the original motor slightly, I’ll be able to dial in my speed nicely and simple ‘shift gears’ if more torque is needed at a low speed.

Only trouble is making the step pulley fit, and removing it. I’ve yet to encounter a pulley as stuck as this one. I put a puller on it, heated it, drove on the drive shaft with a pin, nothing budged... not even a slight bit. I may drop it off at the machine shop and have them remove it and bore it to 5/8 or sleeve it down to 5/8”.

I’ll also need to rearrange things so that the motor tensioner becomes a v-belt tensioner.

Finally I’ll make an aluminum mount for the new controls.

After I get this thing running I will replace the spur with a four jaw so I can actually do things quickly, eliminating the need to find a center and drive the spur into every chair leg.

This is always the result when I attempt to be thrifty and act on a ‘good deal’.
Brian
Deshi

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 pm

Sleeved the pulley, so that's fixed. Setup a plate to neaten up the motor install and add on the controller. Next I need to run electric and duct and get some lathe tools and a new chuck...\

Old Setup:

New Setup:

My entry into working with my hands on a detailed level was as a kid, I found an interest in knife making. I found that interest, I suppose, because it involved so many things that I was becoming interested in, such as forging, minor woodworking, sharpening and so forth. As my interest gained I built, with the held of my father, a belt grinder to grind the profile shapes and bevels of the blades I was making. I later used the tool to shape and finish handles. The belt sanded used this Leeson DC motor with controller. I wanted variable speed for the sander, and so I saved for what seemed like forever until I could afford to put this motor on the machine I had been building.

I put that machine away in my fathers shed for some years, near 20 years I suppose at this point. My father later decided to clean out the shed, so he disassembled the machine and put it into a storage bin. I thought of it now that I needed (or better said, simply wanted) a motor for this lather. I am enjoying having rekindled the relationship with an old friend. I don't experience many emotions with respect to tools, many I simply haven't had long enough to develop that connection, but this one was a staple of my teenage years and really sparked an interested in so many mechanical things and that which is made by hand.

Part of me wants to reuse the remainder of the parts on that belt sander, but scale down the size of it, so that I can put an attachment onto this lathe. The lathe came with a drive hub, presumably for use with a sanding disk, but I could attach that hub to the drive wheel of my sander and build a bolt-on assembly for the rest of the gadgetry. It would be well out of the way when working with any other function of the lathe and might actually come in quite handy.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:59 pm

Up and running finally, next I'll plumb in duct.

Getting this thing tuned up has been a trick, so much to align both in the cutting tool and in centers. I recall having quickly checked the centers and they looked ok...apparently I had misjudged it because they were off quite a bit to cause me about a .020" size difference from one end of the cut to the other. I chased everything to chase and finally found that the tail stock was not seating flatly on the bed. The stock would rock upward when I tightened the live center and the result was that it would cut that side smaller.

I filed the tail stock seat until that problem went away, amazing what you can do with just rocking motion and some feeler gauges. Now I'm down to a size difference of about .005" from end to end on a dingbat.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:40 am

I'm curious, how did you produce a gauging cut end to end when the machine has no carriage and cross slide?
Brian
Deshi

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:44 pm

The machine works by lowering the cutter into the work. The cutter is fixtured into the tool holder which rotates about the very heavy round bar. The duplicator works in three ways, it can hold a sample, it can hold a template or it can be lowered manually, by way of a thumb screw, for making a gauging cut.

I had originally envisioned a cross slide for this type of machine, but the cutter which rotates about an axis makes sense as well.

Some pictures:

Last edited by Brian on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Ah, I see. I was a a bit unclear as to how a duplicator works I guess.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54 am

You all knew this was coming:

Hehe, and I couldn't stop myself from getting the rest of what is needed to have this thing serve in a reasonable capacity. That is a good live center (that isn't noisy) and a drill chuck. I found a good deal on an Albrecht with a morse 2 taper, so looking forward to seeing that and a new Oneway live center. The oneway center is made so that only the pin and threaded section can spin freely, not the entire live center. So the occasional crash into the center is not some damning (not that I should ever do such a thing). The oneway can also hold a chuck, should I decide to purchase another chuck and add that to the tail stock for holding very thin pieces securely.

I put the chuck on and to avoid the accidental but surely disastrous crash into the chuck I set a bolt stop into the steel post that the duplicator travels on.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 am

How do you like the Oneway lathes in general?
Brian
Deshi

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:54 am

I've never tried one of their lathes, but of course here good things about them being pretty top notch. They don't make a duplicator lathe so they were not really something I considered.

Excellent quality parts so far, the chuck grips really well without leaving nasty marks in the surface. It came with an adapter that was pretty smartly made and turned onto threads on my machine's spindle. Nice finish work on the parts as well. Good system plenty adaptable to various circumstances for wood turning.

Return to “Heavy Metal”