Heavy metal update

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Heavy metal update

Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:44 am

American rotary, their most basic series, AR, in a 5hp model
Brian
Deshi

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:44 pm

Mortiser is nice, super quiet and excellent dust collection which is really sort of surprising on a mortiser. I don't have the hollow chisel attachment yet, so I've just been using it for odds and ends. It's become clear that I will need to buy the miter fence. The previous owner seemingly only used this machine for line boring so I can see why they did not bother with some of the accessories.

So happy to be using the minimax as well, though it's a little louder than expected and I may well spend some time seeing if I can chase down some of the noises, but it's a sweet machine. Some of the noise may be due to using the machine in the cold which my shop is experiencing currently. I can only imagine it takes lubricants and so forth a moment to warm up, by that point I'm already done with my job.

Nice to have a professional grade setup for planing as it can be used to make stock parallel which is a dream for me. I've been preparing stock by hand for 10 years now, so this is spoiling me terribly. :D

All the machines are fairly quiet, especially compared what most will have in their house, such as a dewalt planer or job site saw, but next year I may be carefully sound deadening this garage.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Added a Minimax T120 Duplicator lathe on a bit of a whim. Found a listing within driving distance on eBay, put in a reasonable offer which was accepted. Arrived to find a good lathe very poorly kept. I have experience working in a machine shop so I'm not terribly daunted by this stuff, but it can be a real undertaking in terms of hours.

The support for the live center was completely frozen, some person decided to wind the stop in extremely hard then move the center back and forth which created a large burr and that burr eventually locked the assembly tight. I broke it down, after some doing, then finally with a bit of polishing and oiling (a rare commodity in woodworking shops it would seem) it now works beautifully. Happy to have fixed that without too much stress, just a few hours.

I had help getting the duplicator assembly into my car (i broke the lathe down and transported it via Acura TL) but decided to get it out of my car I would disassemble, since I needed to anyways, and bring into the shop in parts. Worked out, without much stress to my surprise no frozen parts. Bit of polishing and oiling and that now also works.

The motor seems a real POS, but I will have a local electric motor repair shop fix that, or simply replace it with something better. Hopefully 90's era Italian made motors are not too difficult to have repaired. The motor actually functions nicely, no noises or whatever but it has some things about it that raise an eyebrow for me. I'm not familiar with the workings of electrical parts on these odd motors, so I rather avoid attempting to work on it my own self.

All in all, cheap duplicator lathe (kinda), ugly yellow, but fits the budget and quality make.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Finally figured out how to resize my images.

Brian
Deshi

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:24 pm

Finally making some real progress. Cleaned out that corner near the lathe last week before it arrived. I have to put up something to hold the lathe tools and of course move the grinder to that shop so that I can grind lathe tools. Not sure how that will work out just yet, but time will tell.

I had an apprentice last year and so she built me some doors for beneath the shoji I made earlier in the year. I put my craftsman toolbox behind them so that I can look at fusuma rather than ugly craftsman toolbox.

Finally I made a random shoji for a Japanese film crew, who I've actually not heard anything from since. I needed a place to put it, so I decided to cover up my HVAC. I've had enough looking at the HVAC for the past few years, so nice to not see that. Staring at a poor tape job while planing for a few hours a day is enough to tire anyone.

I have a two stage compressor making it's way to my garage shop, that will be sometime this spring (gift from chichi) so I'll be running a bit of copper in both shops to plumb in some air.

Also, now that I have something that creates a ton of dust in the handtools shop I will need to plumb in some duct for dust collection. Planning to do that sooner, rather than later but not too much looking forward to doing so. I have to make some sort of contraption for collecting both at the duplicator tool and at the normal tool rest on the lathe and while I'm at it I think I will plumb in for the router table as well since I'm tired of cleaning up after that thing.
Last edited by Brian on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:01 pm

It's coming together very nicely indeed Brian!

Dust collection is never going to be perfect at most machines I'm afraid. Chip collection can be close to 100% however, save for the lathe.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Thanks Chris!

That's quite true in my experience so far, the J/P is easy as can be since it only makes chips. The bandsaw does leave some dust around, so I'm careful to clean up after that. Surprisingly the mortiser is really good about collection.

I'm expecting the lathe will require me to clean the place a bit more regularly since it will no doubt put some dust in the air, even if I don't use it to sand.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:12 pm

The Kapex has great dust collection, unless you need to remove the little rubber U-shaped shroud on the back of the guard.

You have a very clean looking shop.
john verge

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Brian, I saw your festool saw track on the wall, wondering what you think of the accuracy of the two part system?
Brian
Deshi

Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks Chris! That is true, the Kapex is well behaved for the most part, especially for a chop saw.

John, I think that a one piece track is better. It's difficult to get them to align well and when I do it seems short lived, so I actually realign it for each cut when I use them joined together.

Return to “Heavy Metal”