Cnc 4th axis or duplicator lathe

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Brian
Deshi

Re: Cnc 4th axis or duplicator lathe

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Excellent, I think I'll add one to my machine as well.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:23 pm

I didn't find it hard to mount to the S630 at all -took about 20 minutes - but each machine is different of course.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Sounds good to me, easy install is nice.
crannygoat
Raw Log Import

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:10 pm

Hi Brian, have a look at http://www.legacycncwoodworking.com/maverick-cnc/ They have an innovative 5th axis on some of their machines which they claim greatly reduces time to produce complex turnings or curves. Not sure if it's offered on smaller models, but you could probably mod one, or have it custom built. Just a thought.

I personally would love to have a CNC machine. I don't believe that automated production and the human touch are mutually exclusive.

Best,
Brian
Deshi

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:10 pm

It sounds like that rather than having the spindle tilt that they make the table tilt? Seems interesting.

A little more expensive than the shop bot, once I get ready to pony up for something like this I don't believe I will mind paying a little more but some of their sturdier models are about 45k.

I'm starting to agree :) I believe there is also a realm in which the two can coexist.

I have some other tools I will buy ahead of a CNC, but it's in the forefront of my thoughts.
john verge

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:17 pm

A local woodworker where I live built his own cnc machine 15 years ago to assist in his chair making business. He believes it has brought huge value to his operation, moreover at the end of his working career, there will be a turnkey business to sell which is a big plus for small firms.

Possibly even after the sale of ones business, a person could stay on in an advisory role, from this a bit of passive income could be generated. It definitely helps to have a business which shows a consistent profit over the years. I never would have imagined chair building could consistently earn that way.

Maybe there is an argument to augment ones business with automated machines. Eventually a product is developed which earns the bread and butter, add on extra commissions and voila, a profitable business. Something to sell. Sorry, a friend argues that the only reason one goes into business is to develop something to sell at days end; so not my idea I just throw it out for arguments-same.

This woodworker also produced property markers . I guess so many a year, year in and out would cover a few bills. These are triangular cedar stakes painted white which designate properties and adjoining ones too.
john verge

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:30 pm

I also built a house for clients and we hired a welder/fabricator fellow to produce all of the exterior/interior railings. He had just acquired a cnc fabricator and the job damn near paid for his machine outlay. Artistic pieces were commissioned by the owners once they saw the potential his machine had.

He continued on in a part-time way and ended up creating brackets for post and beam work, kind of becoming the go to guy for that sort of thing. He also created a strange trailer hitch device which would telescope up to 8 odd feet and hunters could hang their game from it so as to dress it out, haha. Kind of weird, don’t think it flew but he was hoping for a PO from a Cabela’s type of out door store.
Brian
Deshi

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 am

Thanks John, I appreciate your input. I really like the idea, I plan to pursue it. In my area I don't have a lot of individual consumers but there are many many design oriented businesses, I feel that if I can offer workable time frames that I'll be able to make good in-roads since many of them I worked with in my prior position. I originally went back to them saying I could do anything and being so open ended I found that it was not going anywhere. Instead having something in hand seems a bit more worthwhile.
john verge

Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:17 am

Good luck!

Return to “Heavy Metal”