Kapex - mods/improvements.

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Brian
Deshi

Kapex - mods/improvements.

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:40 pm

This has been the saw I've loved to hate in the past 9-10 months of using it. Almost assuredly every time I did not check for squareness the saw would be out of square. :oops:

So, first I set out to make it so that the miter gauge would not move after cutting. I took the bolts out, and to no surprise the bolt shoulders barely contact the miter gauge around the bolt hole. I think this is bizarre, so I set out to source washer face bolts, but gave up on doing so once I found out that the bolts are 5.5mm. Good luck trying to find 5.5mm washer faced bolts in the US. So, rather that drill the holes out and thread them to suit my needs I decided to take the easy out and put washers under the bolt heads. Not a pretty fix, but it works and actually seems to work well so far.

Next, I have had a ZCI on one side of the saw, but often times I need to use both sides of the saw or want to use both sides. So I find it a bit annoying and being made out of wood it is not always perfect, perfect. I took some aluminum 1/4" sheet and decided to have at making a set of ZCI inserts.

Festool has some undrilled and untapped bosses in the factory fence, I drilled those through and into the new fence then threaded them 10-24 (no metric taps on hand, or bolts for that matter) then cut them for allen heads that fit below the surface. I polished the metal and attached.

Next, I shimmed them out with pieces of paper until they were coplanar and at the same height, further adjusted them until the fence was true along it's length. After which I squared the saw up again, then fine tuned that using an actual piece to cut. I'm convinced as well that the blade could be improved upon as it does not cut perfectly straight lines, instead it deflects about 1/2 a thousandth in the middle of the cut.

Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Kapex - mods/improvements.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Interesting. So, you're finding that the fence is not square to the table on your machine? Mine seems fine in that regard, however I would not assume consistent precision with Festool, one machine to the next.

For zero clearance on the fence, I have gotten in the habit of sticking scrap bits of MDF along the fence, sometimes with a small clamp, other times with double stick tape. Seems to suffice most of the time.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:55 pm

I think, ultimately, the crosscut saw to get is going to be either a Graule or Omga. Omga would be fine for most furniture work, the Graule is a beast. I have tried many brands of SCMS and they are just not heavy enough to shrug off the sorts of minor episodes while cutting which lead to the miter table angle setting going out of whack.

And, for most things, a sliding table saw is going to be the way to go. Just not a Wadkin ;)
Brian
Deshi

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:01 pm

I agree, I’m likely over tasking this saw by using it to cut heavy stock. They sell these machines on capacity but my suspicion is just as your experience, that they’re not capable of 8/4 to 12/4 hardwoods without a struggle. I like those heavy duty crosscut saws but given my limited space I think I will attempt to get a sliding saw into my shop next year.

It’s definetly become clear that These chop saws are really only designed for job site carpentry. I felt I had pretty low expectations for this saw and it has fallen short of those. Three bolts holding a sheet metal gauge are just not the kind of setup that is really capable of holding tolerances, but I guess the engineers weigh these things in consideration when the saw must be portable by one average sized person.

These mods will at least keep these saw capable for the time being, even if I still need to hawk over it setting wise.

What do you call this syndrome, when your first thought upon looking at Festool is ‘over it!’.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:34 pm

I'm with you on the "over it" with festool.

As to the 5.5mm washers - - SAE #10 size is 7/32" inside diameter, or 0.21876, while 5.5mm works out to 0.2165", so it seems like SAE #10 lock washers of some kind (the best would be Nord-Lock) would be the ticket is that what you used? What you have seems to be working, so that is good.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:01 pm

#10 washers worked, that is what I used. What I can't seem to find are M5.5 washer-faced (flanged) bolts. If this setup still slips what I will do is drill out the threads, then thread insert for M6 and use a proper flanged bolt and corresponding washer. If that slips then I'm out of options as the setup only allows for a bolt face of 0.50" before I run into a clearance issue with the surrounding parts.

So far, so good. I cut some heavy stuff with it yesterday and a lot of light stuff and it did not move to my delight.

Nord-lock washers are brilliant, thanks for that. I'll throw them in to if this thing still moves after some use.

I offered this to festool's tech support line last week or so when I was busy pulling my hair out over this saw, and managed to do so calmly, so who knows maybe they will actually get their act together on this one.
john verge

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Brian, how would you compare a radial arm saw to your Kapex? Thanks
Brian
Deshi

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:52 pm

I haven’t used one since high school so I can’t give a worthwhile comparison.
john verge

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks. Once the steady diet of a lot of cabinet shops i checked out. Also quite a few custom home builders ran 16” radial arm saws.

Have looked at that Kapex saw with an eye to purchase now that my 10” and 12” makita’s are toast. Sucks to think about how Mickey Mouse that miter lock is. Oh well, onwards.

Return to “Heavy Metal”