Le Sigh...FS41 Elite S issues?

If it has an electrical cord it is covered here.
Brian
Deshi

Le Sigh...FS41 Elite S issues?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:45 pm

I'm going to put this one out there since I'm now searching for a gremlin in this machine.

The story:

Planing the last boards for my kitchen project (a dangerous thought passed through my mind that i'd be able to wrap that project up) and I heard a loud 'BANG'. I shut the machine immediately and decide to hunt for the problem. Long story short I chased through the easy stuff and found instead that the machine's electric mechanical brake had failed. I discovered this by opening up the back of the motor and parts dropped into the fan housing. The bolt which retains the fan (which doubles as a disk brake) had snapped. I spoke with SCM technical support, they decided best to send a new motor. That arrived today. I installed the new motor.

I can turn the override switch, that opens the brake (I did this multiple times). I try and run the machine and instead I hear a noise like the motor is attempting to run, but I did not hear the 'clunk' of the brake opening. I let this stand for a moment but shut the operation down after visually confirming that the motor would not turn. There is no way to manually override the brake and then operate the machine (unfortunately) because I'd like to get this machine running again while tech support figures out the problem.

The belts are off of the motor at this point, I'm just trying to run it without a load. I did however check the top of the machine and it spins over easily by hand, so no trouble there.

I'm back to assuming there is an issue with the switch, I had kind of assumed that to begin with thinking that the switch failed (partially failed) or something failed allowing the motor to close the brake while operating. This in turn caused the bolt to snap as I assume it was not intended to stop a motor under power.

So this debunks my theory that a good deal is the cause of much grief to be had, a brand new quite expensive machine can cause headaches as well. At this point I'm damned near submitting a bill for time lost, I've dumped probably 6-7 hours into swapping parts on a new machine and I have a project in need of completion. The muscle memory for using the try plane has not been lost in these months, so I'll be back to working entirely by hand with a an expensive hunk of cast iron furniture in the garage for the moment.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Re: Le Sigh...FS41 Elite S issues?

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 am

Very sorry to hear about that and i can well imagine your frustration. These things always seem to happen when you are in the middle of a project with time pressure. My milling machine had a couple of farts in the past week while I'm in the midst of a cutting operation on about 125 parts. It can be really stressful and, at times, anger inducing.

At least SCM can provide you with tech support and parts. They were of little help to me when I had issues with my 1999 -vintage- planer, and as a result I am not inclined to buy SCM anything again.

Here's hoping you can resolve the problem with your machine soon!
Brian
Deshi

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 am

Thanks Chris, sorry to hear also that the mill is giving you grief. I know your frustrations well, I can count the number of times I’ve dumped the tools on the ground and walked away on one hand, but certainly this week has added to that.

I shouldn’t complain, as they’re willing to help but I’m certaibly second guessing future purchases. A failure like this after a 20-30 light hours of use does not inspire confidence.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:43 am

Brian wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:08 am
I’m certainly second guessing future purchases. A failure like this after a 20-30 light hours of use does not inspire confidence.
No, it doesn't. I've heard of people having these sorts of immediate problems even with Martin.
Brian
Deshi

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:52 pm

I suppose these sort of fluke failures are probably more the fault of the switch manufacturer.

I’m going to dig into it a bit more this evening and see if I can track down at least what’s not functioning with the electrical.

The tech may be inclined to throw parts at it, but I want to get it running properly so if I figure out what failed it’ll shorten this process.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Do you feel comfortable diagnosing electrical issues on machinery? Or does it stress you out?
Brian
Deshi

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Doesn't stress me much, I actually enjoy electrical work in small doses. I had wired a few race cars, including my own, with new wiring harnesses when I was racing cars and so the experience stuck with me. DC12v and AC are a totally different animal but the ideas are similar.

Well, either I'm loosing my mind or I saw a mirage last night, because after combing over everything today it fired up and ran. I checked the brake visually (with the fan off) and it opened each time I started the motor. I put it back together and noticed it is considerably quieter than with the previous motor.

Of course this only happened after testing every circuit on all four switches, hah.

Fingers crossed that all is well.
John Whitley
Deshi

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:56 pm

[quote=Brian post_id=8129 time=1519506426 user_id=209]
Of course this only happened after testing every circuit on all four switches, hah.
[/quote]

In software development, there’s a portmanteau “heisenbug”, after Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle and ... bug. A heisenbug hits when you have a bug that “goes away” only when you try to debug it, on the broad notion that observing a system affects that system (which is literally true in numerous ways for software debugging). You can tell which developers have had personal experience of them, due to the wince/cringe/laugh thing they’ll do if you say “heisenbug” to them. :D

Good luck with your heisenbug, Brian!
Brian
Deshi

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Haha, thanks John I will use that one in the future for sure.

Experiences like this make you want to buy one of every electrical part in the system to keep on file. At least now I have a spare parts motor or spare motor if I fix it.
Chris Hall
Site Admin

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Brian wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:31 pm
Haha, thanks John I will use that one in the future for sure.

Experiences like this make you want to buy one of every electrical part in the system to keep on file. At least now I have a spare parts motor or spare motor if I fix it.
It's funny you mention that. After I got the Zimmermann PS1/2 sanding machine a few months back, as soon as I could determine the exact part used for the main switch (the primary electrical component on an otherwise simple machine) I tracked one down on Ebay NOS and snagged it right away.

I wish I could do the same for my Zimmermann mill, however it uses archaic ceramic fuses - one of the reasons i am looking to update to a new machine.

If your planer has a circuit board, that will eventually become the unobtainable part. you are likely to be fine with relays in general otherwise as they are more generic.

Return to “Heavy Metal”